Alone

Chapter thirty-five: Alone (Madison's POV)

I woke up the next morning to a lot of chaos downstairs. I freshened up and went downstairs in confusion where I saw my parents hustling around. "What's going on?" I went and asked Nick who was just standing there watching. 

"They're leaving," he shrugged while huffing and sitting on the last step, me beside him. 

"What do you mean they're leaving?" I asked in confusion. 

"They have to go for an urgent meeting that wasn't scheduled until later but the clients want it now," he shook his head and went back up to his room. 

"Wait, why are you guys leaving?" I asked them straight up while standing in front of my dad who was zipping up his suitcase and looking around to make sure he didn't forget anything. 

"We have a meeting, honey," he said quickly. They haven't stayed there for more than forty-eight hours in almost a year. 

"Are you guys coming for my birthday this year? It's almost in a week," I asked. 

"We'll try sweetie, but we can't say," my mom replied. 

Of course, they can't say. 

"Okay well, have a safe flight," I smiled slightly before going back up to my room. I fell onto my bed, groaning into a pillow. That is not normal, right? It's not normal for parents to skip their child's birthday three years in a row. I waited till I heard the front door open and close and then I looked out of the window to see them leaving in an Uber. 

I rolled my eyes and fell back on my bed. I went into the kitchen and made myself an Acai bowl, taking it with me to the backyard. I sat on the hammock and ate in silence, breathing the air and letting it out. Once I was done, I set it on the ground and just lay on the hammock. 

I was staring up at the sky when I felt my eyes watering and I wasn't sure if it was because the sun was bright or if it was because I was upset. I mean, of course, I was upset. Who's parents skip their birthday? I mean hey, at least they remembered it this year. I scoffed while wiping my eyes before standing up. 

I grabbed my bowl and looked to see Jacob sitting on the steps, watching me. "Way to go, creeper," I mumbled while walking up to him. He didn't move. "Excuse me," I looked at the door before looking at him. 

He just shrugged. 

I rolled my eyes before sitting beside him. I put the bowl down on the ground and looked at him. 

"You were crying," he pointed out. 

"It's bright," I shrugged. 

"Please," he scoffed. I rolled my eyes and kept quiet. "You're not alone, Mads. They might not be here for your birthday but I promise you, you will have so much fun." 

I turned to him with confusion. 

"What? Just because we're fighting doesn't mean it'll ruin your birthday. Speaking of, guess what I got you," he smirked at me. 

"You know, asking me to guess what I got and getting me what I guess first isn't the best idea," I gave him a pointed look, knowing well that he hasn't bought me anything yet. "Don't get me anything," I shrugged with a sigh. 

"That's not how birthdays work. What do you want?" he raised his eyebrows at me. 

"You know me, figure it out," I shrugged before standing up only for her to grab my wrist and pull me back down. I sighed and looked at him, waiting for him to talk.