Eve

Chapter thirty-eight: Eve (Madison's POV)

Two days had gone by and it was my birthday eve. No one except for Jacob had been acknowledging the upcoming day and it was bumming me out. I always cheer everyone up like weeks before their birthday and no one was doing anything for me, whatever. I went downstairs to make myself breakfast but saw Jacob already there. 

"Happy birthday eve!" he grinned while placing a plate of cinnamon rolls and two hashbrowns in front of me. 

I love hashbrowns if you couldn't tell by the number of times he's made them for me. I froze in my footsteps and looked between him and the plate. "I-" 

Speechless. 

"I don't even know what to say to you," I breathed with a soft chuckle while I walked up to him slowly. 

"It's your birthday eve," he shrugged while smiling down at me cheerily. 

"You have powdered sugar on your face," I wiped it off his cheek while looking up at him as I stepped closer. "And in your hair," I looked up. 

He inhaled sharply as I did too at our proximity before I wiped his cheek and then stepped away. "Here," he handed me my plate. 

"Um- thank you for the amazing breakfast," I laughed awkwardly while pulling him into a hug. 

"Anytime," he chuckled. "Well, you enjoy, I have to go shower," he chuckled before leaving me for a lonely birthday eve breakfast. He was about halfway up the stairs when he came back. "Or I'll just stay here. Who likes having breakfast alone?" he asked rhetorically. 

"Jacob?" I asked while sitting down as he sat opposite to me. 

"Yeah?" he asked. 

"Have you eaten breakfast?" I grabbed two forks. 

"No," he said quietly. 

"Good, because you have made food for a family," I grabbed another plate and split my food with him. 

"That's your birthday breakfast," he slid the plate back over to me. 

"And I choose to split it with you," I slid it back. 

He sighed in defeat before we ate in a comfortable silence. "So," he began while taking the dishes to clean, "We have a date tonight," he smirked. 

"Mm-hmm, what about it?" I asked while leaning on the counter beside him, watching him. 

"What are you gonna wear?" he raised his eyebrows at me. 

"I don't know, I was going to ask you. Where are we going?" I asked out of curiosity. 

"Hmm, tell me a fancy place that you like," he turned to me while drying his hands. 

"I'm not suggesting anything because I don't even think you should be taking me to a fancy restaurant. I'm good with going to McDonald's," I shrugged. 

"The kitchen restaurant?" he thought out loud and I looked at him like he was crazy because clearly, he was. That restaurant charges $175 per person with tax. That is a lot of money. 

"You have lost your mind," I laughed. "That is way too expensive. You're not supposed to be blowing all your money on a dinner for my birthday," I scoffed. 

"Do you like their food, yes or no?" he arched an eyebrow at me. 

"Yes, but-" he didn't let me finish. 

"Then we're going to the Kitchen restaurant," he shrugged. 

"No, no, I don't like their food, it's the worst!" I shook my head.