Prologue

Prologue

I walked out of my room-for- now and into the living room to meet the lady that come to check up on us every week. She sighed in frustration knowing I was going to give her a hard time. I just scowled at her and walked over her like she wasn't there. I sat 5ft away from her.

"What chu want?" I ask her with an attitude. Ain't nobody got time. I got places to be and people to see and she is not one of them.

"How is it here?" she asked getting straight to the point.

Keeping my sass I look around. "I don't know you tell me you sitting there with ya legs all crossed. You look like you like it here better than I do."

"Raniyah...," my aunt says in a warning tone.

"What's poppin?" I ask as if I don't know why she calling me.

"Stop," she states in a firm tone.

"All I'm doing is keepin'it one 'hunnit. She sitting here asking me how is it here like if I didn't wanna be here I can go back with my momma. What chu here for anyway? Cause you need to hurry this up," I said leaning back.

"See that additude-"

"What chu gone do about it?" I cut her off. For the first and last time I'm interested in what she gotta say. She jerks her neck back in an 'excuse me' way. I'm done. I stand up punching my hand lightly then holding them out. "Look, if you got a problem with me we could-"

"Raniyah! Sit. Down." My aunt tells me.

"You know what f**k this. Its f**king 8:30 in the morning and y'all woke me up on some bull sh*t. Now what my a** bout to do is go eat, take my shower, put on something flea, and brush my teeth again before I leave so I won't have no pancakes in between my teeth and on that note..." I start walking and stop in front of the lady. "You got some black stuff on ya teeth." I keep walking now. As soon as I walk in the kitchen I stop. My cousin gun on the table... again. I sighed. This nigga ain't gonna neva learn. I pick up the heavy gun and walk in my cousin room."Here my nigga," I say tossing the gun on the bed.

"Thanks blood. My bad I know you keep telling me to get it off the kitchen table before Shamiyah get to it," he said referring to my lil sis.

"Ain't nothing but a piece of cake. She ain't get to it so you good." I tell him.

"Thanks fam."

"It ain't nothing. I'm finna eat and get ready to roll up outta here," I tell him getting ready to leave out his room.

"Raniyah?" I turn around."You ain't always gotta be so hard on everybody. I know you miss him and I know its hard looking after Shamiyah. You don't have to, you know."

"I'm all she got," I say closing the door. That's the end of that conversation.