Stay the Night -Sweet-

Our time in Auberge files by, and soon it's time to head back to New York. My mom and her husband just headed off to a ski resort in Lake Tahoe. The rest of us are finishing packing up our things.

Emily: "Izaac, you haven't put your luggage in the car yet. If we don't hurry, we'll miss our flight."

Izaac: "Actually, I was planing on staying here for the day and taking a flight out later tonight. I mean, if that's okay with you."

"Really? Why?"

Dad: "Does that mean you're not coming back with us?"

Izaac: "Sorry, but I have something to do in Central Valley."

Emily: "You mean you're going to visit your grandparents?"

Izaac: "My grandparents have already passed away, but my mother is still living there."

"I see."

Izaac never really talks about his mother, so I know nothing about her.

(So she lives in California, too.)

Izaac: "I haven't seen her in almost eight years, so I thought this might be a good chance to visit."

Dad: "That's great. I'm sure she'd love to see you. I hope you'll have a great time."

Izaac: "Actually, I'd like you to come with me."

"Huh? Are you sure?"

I can't hold back my surprise.

Emily: "That sounds like a great idea. I'm sure she'd be thrilled to meet your girlfriend."

Izaac: "What do you say? I promise to bring her back tonight."

He asks my dad for permission.

Dad: "Is that what you want, [Y/N]?"

"Yeah."

I reply without hesitating.

Dad: "Alright then. Be safe and have a good time."

"Thanks! We will!"

Izaac: "I really appreciate it."

We make arrangements to rent a car, and head on our own towards Central Valley. The beautiful countryside goes on as far as the eye can see. But I don't have time to enjoy any of it because I'm too busy freaking out about meeting Izaac's mom.

He doesn't say much while he's driving, so I try to make small talks.

"Are you nervous about seeing her again?"

Izaac: "Not really."

He answer back almost automatically.

"Did you tell her you're coming?"

Izaac:" Nope. We're not really in touch. She sends me birthday and Christmas cards every year but I never send her anything back..."

"That's awful."

Izaac: "I know. I should probably apologize about it."

He keeps his eyes fixed on the road ahead of us, so it's impossible for me to tell what he's thinking.

Izaac's mother lives in a small cottage inside the vast vineyard. The house sits in the middle of a beautiful garden, full of thousands of colorful flowers in bloom. Izaac peers inside one of the windows and then walks back down the garden.

"What's wrong?"

Izaac: "We're leaving."

"What do you mean by leaving? You haven't even knocked on the door!"