Chapter 2

Elizabeth Bennet was an environmental journalist. She took pride in her work, she felt like she was doing something for the greater good whenever she published an article. However, she'd be the first to admit that her job was sometimes hard to handle. While exposing a company for being downright murderous to the environment was fulfilling, it didn't exactly pay well. Hence why she was 23 and still living with her parents. She worked hard though, knowing that one day she'd have her own place, or so she hoped. Elizabeth would probably be working right now, if not for the party she had to attend.

Meryton sat right outside of Seattle, across Elliot Bay. Meryton could hardly be considered a city, despite what the mayor said. The downtown area consisted of a few skyscrapers and highrises, a skyline that Seattle easily put to shame. However, despite the lackluster nightlife and the general boredom that came with Meryton, the city had started to grow. People had started to notice that living in Meryton was a lot less expensive than living in Seattle, and decided that a longer daily commute into the city was worth saving hundreds on rent. Additionally, as people started to move into the small city, businesses did too. Meryton was quickly growing, and the Bennets had a front seat to the show.

Despite the recent increase in population, Elizabeth never thought she'd witness an actually packed social event in her hometown. However the arrival of Charles Bingley seemed to have brought the entire population of Meryton to the Netherfield building.

Elizabeth was practically pushed out of the minivan by Lydia. The entire ride to the party, her youngest sisters Lydia and Kitty had been babbling to each other about how much they were going to dance and about what cute people from their highschool might be there. As Lydia talked about how her new dress would allow her to upstage any ex girlfriends or boyfriends that might be there, and Kitty encouraged her, Elizabeth had never been so jealous of Jane for having such an easy going temper, and Mary for her ability to block anything out via headphones. Elizabeth didn't think she'd be so excited to get into the party, but after nearly going crazy in the car, she was excited to get some company other than her sisters.

Elizabeth was thankful for valet parking. She didn't want to walk any further in her heels than she had to. She glanced at her sisters as they got out of the car. Besides Mary, they all had heels taller than Elizabeth's. She must not have gotten the balance gene, because she was certain that if she wore shoes like theirs, she'd fall. Lydia and Kitty practically ran through the revolving door and into the party, family forgotten. Meanwhile, Jane and Elizabeth walked in with their parents and Mary. Mary looked like she'd rather be at home, and Elizabeth was sure that was the case.

The Netherfield building was the highlight of Meryton's downtown area. It was built with more grandeur than anything else in the city by some business mogul who, in the 90's, thought Meryton would be the next big city. However, the fancy building ended up having less value than initially thought, and it passed through the hands of several rich people throughout the decades.

The lobby of the Netherfield building was beautiful, especially now that it was decorated for the party. The lobby was twice as long as it was wide and the arched ceiling was two stories high. Dark marble flooring stretched across the room and intricate, golden art deco chandeliers hung above. Gold patterns lined the dark gray walls around the guests. With the fresh white tablecloths and the dazzling smiles of partygoers, Elizabeth almost felt like she was in the Roaring 20s. All that was needed to complete the look were some flappers.

The Bennets were well known in Meryton. With 5 daughters all raised there, every one of the sisters had made friends with some family or another. As Elizabeth roamed the party, she was stopped by several people and pulled into conversation. Elizabeth joyfully spoke to her friends that she went to highschool with about her life so far, or to parents of people who hadn't seen her in a while about how tall she had gotten. Although it was nice to chat with so many people, Elizabeth was only really keeping an eye out for one person: Her best friend, Charlotte Lucas.