Chapter Four

I stand there in distaste as Louis grips Zoe's face tightly, spilling insult after insult to the poor goat. He was only just cast yesterday. My arms are crossed and the door flies open and Kai steps in. "Louis, Zoe doesn't deserve to be Tem's replacement. I was runner up at the auditions-"

"Don't you knock?" Louis demands, grip still tight on Zoe's face. I walk over, smacking Louis' hand to release Zoe.

"Let go of him," I say dead faced as the taller deer glares down at me. Yes, we're both still mad at one another.

"Get out and memorize the script," Louis states firmly to Zoe. I go to follow, deciding I'd rather help Zoe than be in a room with Louis right now. "Where do you think you're going?" He demands. I turn to him, raising an eyebrow.

"To help Zoe. If you think having everyone fear you is a good idea, you're dead wrong. You're just going to be hated. Excuse me Kai." I say as I walk past him at the entrance of the room. I soon make my way over to Zoe, stage manager script in hand. There are a bunch of sticky notes sticking out of it, all consisting of blocking and scene changes. Others have lighting effects, everything really. Zoe looks up at me.

"Hey [name]." I give a small salute.

"Hey to you too. Now, let's get these lines under wraps." I say as I plop down in front of him. "It's best to just do a readthrough first and then we'll work on complete memorization of one scene at a time. We need to cram but also space it out so you can remember everything." I say as I flip through to get to Zoe's scene. "Sound good?" I ask as I glance up to see Zoe looking at me in admiration.

"Wow! You really know what you're talking about!" I shrug.

"Eh, it's kind of my job to know this show inside and out. I am the stage manager after all. Now, let's start." I give him a closed-eyed smile before I begin reading the script, him filling in where he has to.

The rest of the group stands near the door, eavesdropping on the conversation happening inside. I roll my eyes at the immaturity before thinking back to my Louis drawing. Okay, maybe I shouldn't be judging them too much. "[name], do you think if you didn't stage manager you would be a good actor?" Zoe asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, um." I adjust the way I'm sitting. "I'm not sure to be completely honest. I've always enjoyed theatre and have wanted to act. I just don't think I'd fit in though." I shrug. Zoe nods, eyebrows furrowing.

"Well you seem to be doing pretty good right now, you're still putting effort into the lines even though you're just helping me learn them." I blink. I didn't even realize I was doing that. I was just reading. I smile sheepishly.

"It's just to help you deliver your lines better. See," I point to one of his lines. "If I said this line in a different tone you would have to deliver yours differently because the context changed. I'm just saying it how Louis has been executing the line so you get the proper delivery." Zoe nods, seeming to understand my thought process.

"That makes so much sense! Thanks [name]!" I nod.

"No problem! Let's continue then shall we?"

Rehearsal continues on like normal except Zoe and I sitting off to the side so he can get his lines down. He recites a scene perfectly and I clap. "Nice!" I go to continue but I'm interrupted by footsteps. I look up from the spot on the floor to see Louis looking down at us. I cock a brow.

"Can I help you?" I ask cooly. He looks at the open script on my lap before looking at Zoe.

"How ironic to see you here Oddie the Water Spirit," Louis says and I smirk, leaning back into my hands. Zoe's eyes widen and he looks at me before looking back to Louis, reciting his line. Louis' eyebrow raises before he continues. The two go back and forth and I take the opportunity to stand up. I grab my manager's script before wandering off to somewhere else in the room. Zoe will be fine, I'm confident in him. I smile to myself at the thought. Oh shit, I have to introduce Kai to his duties. I huff walking over to the still angry mongoose.

"Hey Kai, let me get you introduced to what you're gonna be doing." He looks over to me, a glare on his face.

"What makes you think I'm going to listen to you?" My face turns into a steely glare.

"Kai, you really don't want to test me right now. I wasn't in the meeting, I never am. I'm just doing my job of introducing you to yours. I'm the stage manager, you're in my domain now, not Louis'." I take a step forward, jabbing him in the chest. "If you think I am going to allow you to speak to me like that you are dead wrong mister. Dead. Wrong." Kai glares up at me and I tilt my head, a smirk on my face. "Now, if you would follow me, I'll show you around."