Chapter Eight

My knees lean against my desk as I type on the computer. I decided to visit my mom for the weekend and was trying to get my school work done quickly so I could have more time for her. I could have done it last night but I decided to procrastinate a little bit. I adjust the way I'm sitting a bit before closing out the document. I pull up my emails real quick and check them before deciding that it's okay to get off the computer. My mom walks in and leans against the doorway, looking down at me.

    "I was thinking of going to the little cafe on fourth for our hangout. Does that sound good?" I turn to her and smile, nodding my head.

    "Yea, that sounds great." Her tail swishes at my response. I lean over, turning off the computer and standing up. My clothing was pretty comfy today so I didn't need to worry about any clothing issues. I wouldn't need to change to go to a cafe either. My mom turns and walks out of the room. I follow, flicking off the light and closing the door behind me. "Are we walking?" I ask her as I grab my small purse. She pauses for a moment as she thinks, her body language showing her to be uncomfortable. "It's okay if you don't want to." I follow up, "Fourth isn't that far which is why I asked." She lets out a breath before smiling.

    "Actually, let's walk. No need to waste the gas." She nods as she opens the door, letting me out first.

    My mom lived in a rather nice apartment in the middle of the city. She didn't have a thrilling job, she worked in advertising. That does allow her to live comfortably though and who am I to complain? I want her to be happy. I can't think of any other tiger who would take in a deer that was thrown into their arms. Literally. Growing up I always felt the stares and heard the hushed whispers of other animals as we walked. It was why my mom preferred to drive. Apparently an adult tiger and a young deer were alarming. Of course, it still is. I have just chosen to ignore others' ignorance of the situation. They can think all they want, they don't need to know the lives of two complete strangers. Especially mother and daughter.

    As we walk the stares already begin and I feel my mom slouch slightly to appear smaller. I link my arm into hers and smile up at her. We used to always walk like that down the street when I was younger in order to avoid me getting lost. She smiles back down at me and we continue our way down the street. I fill her in on how the play is going and school in general. She asks me about Tem's death and how she thinks the school didn't handle it properly by still having the students attend class that day. I agreed with her thoughts and we continue to walk and talk about our lives due to living apart.

    "I'm going to have to ask you two to stop." We suddenly hear. My mom and I both look around to make sure it is us that is being spoken to. We turn back to the officer and my mom speaks up.

    "What can I help you with, officer?" She asks with slight venom in her tone. The rhino pulls his pants up slightly and eyes my mom up and down. "What is the relationship between yourself and the deer?" He asks and I roll my eyes, deciding to speak up about the situation.

    "She's my mom if you would really like to know," I say with spite, taking a step forward. "My own parents literally threw me into her arms and ran off. This woman has taken me in and raised me as her own. Would you like to know anything else about our lives officer?" I ask with a tight smile and head tilt. The rhino awkwardly clears his throat as he realizes a crowd has begun to form around us, some carnivores recording the situation. The rhino nods his head in submission before moving on with his day. I let out a huff as I grab my mom's arm and begin walking towards the cafe again. "The nerve of people!" I exclaim as we continue to walk. My mom rubs my head.

    "It's okay (Y/N), it was bound to happen with all the murders happening recently." I sigh and shake my head.

    "Still, it's wrong. They're judging based on species. It's wrong."