Chapter Nine

I knock on Louis's dressing room before walking in, closing the door behind me. He stops looking at the poster and turns to face me. I speak up, "It still annoys me that they didn't get your antlers right in the poster." Louis shakes his head a bit before walking over to the mirror. I move and stand behind him. We both look at each other through the reflection.

    "I can fight." He says firmly and I raise an eyebrow, not understanding where that statement is coming from.

    "Okay?" I question, moving and hopping up to sit on the table.

    "You think my injury makes me weak, that my body cannot handle fighting." He states, looking at me in the eye and trapping me with his arms. I shake my head.

    "I don't think you're weak. Stupid yes, weak no. You've gone through all these days without going to the hospital. How the hell is that weak? I had to scold you to at least take care of your leg, which you did end up following so I thank you for that." He leans in.

    "You really don't think I'm weak?" He's trying to intimidate me, appear bigger than he actually is.

    "No Louis. I really don't think you are." I put my hands on his chest and push him back gently before hopping off the table. "The auditorium is full, call is in five minutes. Just thought I should let you know." I go to leave but pause, "Also, can I get a new headset? This one presses into my ears really harshly, they aren't very deer friendly." Louis smiles slightly.

    "I'll get you a new headset. Before you go, where is your mother sitting this time? She always texts you a photo of the stage." I smile sadly, shaking my head no.

    "She can't be here this time. She has a business trip." Louis's head snaps up to look at me.

    "Really? What about your father?" I shake my head again.

    "Don't have one." I open the door, "You'll do great, you always do."

    I walk away from the dressing room and over to the others all rushing around backstage. I roll my eyes. "You all know we have time right? Meet on stage in five so Louis can give his speech." They all turn to me and nod before going back to what they were doing before. I click a button on my hip, walking to a quiet area.

    "Everything good up there Legosi?" I laugh as I hear the frantic movement on the other side of the channel.

    "Everything seems to be working fine. How about down there?" I watch as Louis walks out of the dressing room.

    "He's about to give his pep-talk." Legosi is silent for a moment and then speaks up again.

    "Hey (Y/N), about your backstory, I just wanna say that I admire how strong you are." I smile at his words.

    "Thanks, Legosi, now, let's blow this crowd away yea?"

    "Yea." He agrees.

    I hum as I stand off to the side as I watch Louis say his speech. He walks past me to go finish his make-up and put the mask on. I follow, just like I do every time. "Lighting is all good, everything else is in place, we're ready to go." He puts on his mask.

    "Perfect, I'll show them something great." He responds with the mask on. I smile at him.

    "I know you will."

~~~~

    My eyes tear up as I watch the final scene. Louis's performance was captivating. He was no longer Louis playing Adler. He was Adler. The story of this show always gets me and to finally see it like this is making me emotional. The audience is captivated by every word. I cover my mouth as Louis says his final words. The crowd goes nuts as the curtain closes, my eyebrows furrow though. Louis is swaying slightly, I quickly glance at the curtain. As soon as it closes, Louis collapses. "Louis!" I call out, sprinting across the stage to go to his collapsed form. I get on my knees, tapping his shoulder. "Louis? Louis!" I turn to Sanou.

    "He's unconscious, call 119!" I exclaim and he nods, rushing off. "Everyone else back up!" They do as they're told. My eyes scan backstage before locking on with Bill. "Bill, I need you to carry him for me, we all know I'm too small to do it." he nods quietly as he picks Louis up gently. I frown, taking off Louis's mask and tucking it under my arm. "Everyone else do curtain call and then get out of costume, I'm sure you don't need me to do that. Come on Bill."

    "Right." He says as he walks with my outside into the cool night air. Bill places Louis down on a bench as I lean against the wall, arms crossed. "You can go Bill, I got this." The tiger gives me a look.

    "Are you sure?" He asks. I nod my head, smiling up at him.

    "Yea, I'm sure." He heads back inside and I begin taking off the other unnecessary parts of Louis's costume. I drape the cape over my arm, watching as the ambulance pulls up with Sanou leading it. The paramedics instantly get to work. I explain to them about Louis's leg as they allow me to sit in the ambulance. I had to say I was his girlfriend in order to do that though. I guess being a red deer made that obstacle easier to go through. I sit quietly as I watch them work. They take a look at his leg and I wince as I see how swollen and purple the appendage is. I look away from the scene and around the ambulance, giving the paramedics any useful information. My brain was running a million miles a minute, my emotions numb. I told him to be careful. I told him. I didn't realize his leg was this bad. I thought it was sprained, not broken. I look back over to Louis and see him peacefully sleeping on the bed, unaware of everything that is happening around him.

~~~~

    It was later in the night and all of the drama club sits around Louis as he sleeps. I sit on the other bed, leaning my head against the back of it as the others stare at him patiently. He should be waking up soon but nothing is certain. We all look up as he stirs, people saying his name with excitement. I remain sitting cross-legged as the others chat, Bill telling Louis the news about his leg. I lean onto my hands, my eyes drooping slightly. Everyone continues to express their pity to Louis, I wasn't really listening all that much. I sigh as Louis tells Bill he'll be playing Adler. Ah yes, stroke the boy's ego.

It eventually ended up being just me and Sanu in the room. "You should thank (Y/N), she came with you on the ride to the hospital." Louis looks at me as Sanu walks out. I was sitting on the bed still, legs pulled up to my chest.

"You rode with me to the hospital? How did you even get into the ambulance." I shrug tiredly.

"I had to say I was your girlfriend. I didn't want you to wake up in the ambulance and not see anything familiar. It was a precaution." He nods slowly before looking down at his leg.

"I hate pity."

"I know."

"They think I'm weak."
"They don't." He looks back at me. "Did you hear them? They were impressed you went through a whole show with a broken leg. They don't think you're weak." I shake my head, ears flattening. Louis's ears mirror mine as he thinks about my words.

"I've been nothing but rude to you all these years but you continue to converse with me. Why?" I hum, tilting my head a bit. I don't think he will like the truth that I give him, but I know it's what I need to say. I think about my words carefully.

"I guess I just know you aren't actually rude. It's more of a front really." I release my legs, having my feet dangle off the bed. "I've seen you smile at the dumb things I've done, like the assembly when I stuck my tongue out. I think you just have loads of masks. I've seen the real you a few times and I want to get to know you Louis. The real you. Not the one you want everyone to see." The room is silent as Louis takes in my words. I smile at him before standing up from the bed. I stretch, my back cracking in satisfaction. I go to leave the room and Louis speaks up finally.

    "Thank you (Y/N). For staying." I send him a smile.

    "No problem, see you tomorrow."