Chapter Five

I stare blankly down at the packet in front of me. It stares back, taunting me. The big 62 in the top right of the front page mocks me. I tighten my jaw as I quickly flip the packet over, away from prying eyes. I'm barely passing all of my classes, clawing my way through. Ironic considering I don't even have claws. Animals behind me chat excitedly about their good grades on the test. I silently begin to collect my items and stand, promptly leaving the classroom. It was the end of the day anyways. I'm not attending rehearsals today, they can go a day without me. This thought sits in my head even though I have hesitance in actually skipping rehearsal. I've never done this before and I know for sure that Louis is going to come looking for me or send someone to do it. I need to find a place where I can't be found easily. The roof of the dorm should be fine. I nod my head as I come to my decision to skip.

    I walk back to my dorm, keeping my head down. It isn't very hard considering I'm not close to anyone in the school really. I have conversations with people inside of class and club activities yea, but I don't really socialize with anyone once those hours are over. I didn't really mind it most of the time. I can usually get by. It just seems that today is one of those days where I can't. Perhaps I could try studying when I get back to the dorm? I can go to the rooftop and study there. It would be quiet enough. I enter my dorm room to see it is empty. My dormmates haven't arrived yet from whatever they do at the end of the school day. I change out of my school uniform, putting on something that is warm and comfy. I collect a few items before leaving a note, letting my dormmates know that I will be on the roof of the building. I make my way up to the rooftop and get towards the edge. I plop down, taking my bag off of my shoulder and opening it up. I spill the contents out in front of me. I pull out my phone, opening youtube and putting on Lo-fi to listen to as I attempt to study.

    Hours have past and the sun has begun to set. My study session went alright. I got distracted a few times considering I have never really studied before. Everything was placed back in my bag as my feet dangle off of the building. My music choice has changed to musical melodies. A mixture of the classics and the newer musicals. I hum along to the song currently playing as I sway back and forth to the melody coming through my phone. The song changes and I stand, twirling slightly away from the edge. My humming turns into actual singing, "It's not simple to say that most days I don't recognize me..." I begin before continuing on. I know I'm alone, I can be free from the shackles I've placed on myself with my lack of confidence. The song continues and so do I, walking along the rooftop. I get lost in the song as I connect with the singer, the lyrics of the song are similar to how I feel about my life. A small, pitiful smile makes its way onto my face as I continue to sing. The sunset looks beautiful as I look out at it from the rooftop. My ears dip as I frown.

    The song slowly comes to an end and so do I. I let out a breath as I look up at the sky. My ear flicks as I hear the door to the rooftop shut quickly. I whip around, eyes darting all over the rooftop to see if I can spot any threat. My ears continue to flicker as I listen to anything as I am on high alert, making my way over to the door, backpack, and phone in hand. If I'm going down, I'm going down swinging. Although a backpack isn't going to do that much damage. I pause, ears flickering one more time, no one is here. It was like they were just standing at the door and then left. I frown, who was it?

    The idea of it being Tem's killer crosses my mind. It couldn't be though, they would've struck, wouldn't they? I begin to think as I make my way down the stairs and back to my dorm. Who would have been looking for me? I can't think of anyone who would want to speak to me at this time. Oh shit, was it Louis? He probably, scratch that, he will yell at me tomorrow. I sigh as I open the door to my dorm room. My dormmates are all doing their own things. "Hey [name]." Sam says as they look up from their book.

    "Hey," I reply quietly, throwing my bag down and flopping onto my bed.

    "There was a grey wolf looking for you, says he was sent by Louis?" I groan into my pillow. So it was Legosi who came up to the roof then.

    "Thanks for telling me," I say politely before throwing the covers over myself and curling into a ball. I am in for a helluva ride tomorrow. I shudder at the thought. I want life to be easy but this is anything but easy at this point. I bury my head into my pillows, tonight is going to be a long night if I continue to have thoughts like these. I won't be able to sleep at this rate, my mind is whirring a million miles a minute.