Chapter Sixteen

I snort as I watch Louis look between his leaf and the one I was painting. "How come they look different?" He asks. His leaf had bumps and was uneven while mine was smooth and shaded. I shake my head.

"It's because you had too much paint on your brush. You're leaving big blobs of it on your leaf. Less goes a long way in painting. You can always add more." Louis frowns.

"Well, how are we supposed to fix it?" He asks. I hum, leaning back slightly.

"We can take a paint scraper and scrap it off or we can take black paint and put dots all over the leaves." I shrug. Honestly, the backdrop would be far enough away from everyone where we wouldn't even have to do anything, but I wanted to see him struggle. Louis stares at the leaf for a moment before picking up the paintbrush for the black paint. He goes to dab the leaf but I stop him. "You gotta flick the paint." I take the paintbrush from him and start flicking the paint by snapping the brush on my finger.

"That will get paint all over you though." I shrug.

"So? That's a part of painting Louis. You can't really avoid it."

"You still got upset when Legosi got that paint all over you though." I wince in embarrassment.

"You saw that?" He chuckles.

"The shout didn't help." I sigh, bringing my clean hand up to my face and rubbing it. The sun was beginning to set and the backdrop was almost done. Louis and I have been working on it for awhile now. He actually stayed the whole time instead of wandering around everywhere. It helped get this project done. I stand up, walking around to flick more paint on the other side of the piece of art. I gasp as I feel some paint hit my cheek. I look up to see Louis focused on painting his leaf and my eyebrows furrow. I look around to see who could have flung the paint at me. When my back is to Louis I feel more paint hit me and I pause, looking over my shoulder to see Louis smiling as he paints. My eyes narrow as I grab my paintbrush, dipping it heavily into some red paint.

"Hey Louis." He looks up and I launch it. I laugh as it smears across his face. His expression is even better, eyes wide and mouth opening and closing like a fish. I continue to laugh, clutching my stomach and falling onto my back. In my laughing I didn't notice Louis preparing his attack. Before I know it I feel a thick liquid on my stomach. I look down to see that Louis has dumped a bucket of paint on me and I glare at him, standing and grabbing my own paint brush. We both stand there, paintbrushes hovering over buckets. At the same time we both dip our brushes in and begin to launch paint at each other. Neither of our aims are the best, but we both circle each other as we fling paint. Louis covered in red and green, me in green and black.

Soon enough we both get tired and place down the paint. I gasp as I look at the paint splattered background. "Well... looks like we aren't going to have a background." Louis looks at the ruined piece and winces.

"Yes... I guess we aren't." Louis clears his throat and straightens his paint covered shirt. "I'm going to head back to campus, would you like to join me?" I shake my head.

"Nah, I'm gonna stay and clean up." Louis shrugs before walking off. I begin to collect the paint buckets and brushes, placing them all in their spots, the brushes in a bin so I can wash them at the water spout. I carry the brushes over and begin to wash them as I see the rest of the drama club gathered together. Juno joins the group and they all converse a bit. I wasn't a huge fan of Juno, something about her pushes me off. She's too nice for her own good and I know she's hiding something. I look back at my bucket and begin to knead the brush on my fingers to get out the paint. Suddenly the lights go out and I let out a scream, dropping the bucket in my hands.

I look around frantically, unable to see anything. My ears flick wildly, picking up any and every sound around me. I hear others running around. I decide to make myself as small as possible and crouch down, looking down as well. I was shaking as fear took over my body. I can only see very blurry. Deer can choose to be nocturnal or not, in this day and age, most of us aren't. Therefore we can't see in the dark. I hear a noise and slowly begin to make my way over to it, holding my hands out. I stand for a moment and feel a rabbit wrap her arms around my legs. "Louis!" I pause, speaking up.

"Uh.. no, sorry. Same species though." I feel the rabbit let go.

"I'm sorry. I can't see anything."

"It's okay, I can't see anything either, why don't we hide together?" I reach my hand out, "My hand is out in front of you." I feel her grab it and she pulls me behind the tree she was hiding at. We both sit there for a moment, curling ourselves into the smallest balls possible.

"What a relief-" Someone begins and Haru has the same reaction she did with me. Saying how she was relieved Louis found her. I frown as I stay behind the tree and the lights come back on. I stand up, brushing my skirt and walking away. It seems like Haru actually loves Louis. I frown, has he been pushing her away? I walk back over to the rest of the group and I hear many voices of relief when they spot me. Bill speaks up.

"[Y/N]! We were worried about you! None of us could see or smell you. We thought something happened!" I give him a fake smile.

"Thank you for your worries, but I'm fine."