Chapter Six

Legosi and I stand in the aisles as Louis gives his mini-speech. "Hey, Legosi." I begin, causing the wolf to jump. "What happened to Louis?" I question and the wolf pauses, turning his body slightly to face me. His face contorts into one of debate, like he's hiding something but is unsure if he should tell me. "I can already see on your face that something happened, just tell me." Legosi sighs, walking as I walk behind him. We needed to place some boxes in the storage.

"He and Zoe snuck in here the other night to rehearse. It was dark and Zoe couldn't see the lip of the stage. Louis hurt his foot trying to save him." I nod.

"And Louis is being an idiot and not letting himself rest, nice." I nod with a roll of my eyes. Legosi snorts in amusement as we continue to walk. It wasn't a very far walk to the storage closet. I feel eyes on me as I make my way down the stairs to the side of the auditorium. I look around the room to see Louis looking at me with a glare. Oh yea, definitely getting scolded. Maybe if I just hang around Legosi he won't come? We make our way backstage and I open up the door storage room door considering Legosi has more boxes than me. He was humming something softly underneath his breath as he began to put his boxes away on the higher shelves. I put my boxes on the lower shelves considering that's all I can really reach.

The wolf's tail sways back and forth and the melody becomes familiar to me. My eyebrows furrow before I realize he is humming the song I sang last night. I already know he was the one who went up to the roof, I don't know how much he heard though. "I didn't know you were a fan of Waitress," I state casually causing the humming from him to end immediately.

"Oh! I- uh," he rubs the back of his neck. "Y-yea, I really only know one or two songs." I hum, nodding my head.

"Same here, I've never listened to the whole musical, the plot always pushed me away. I hear it's good though." Legosi's tail dips slightly and I eye the movement of the appendage. "You heard me last night, didn't you?" I ask, not easing into the question. Legosi pauses from placing his last box for a moment before continuing the action.

"Yea, I did. I'm sorry." He apologizes immediately. I wave my hand in dismissal.

"It's whatever, I just don't sing in front of people often, I get too anxious. I don't see you going around telling people anyways." Legosi lets out a sigh of relief and a laugh, patting him on the arm. "You should probably head back up to the lights, I'll see where I get dragged around to." Legosi smiles down at me.

"Yea, I guess you're right." He says as we both leave the storage room. He heads in one direction, to the stage stairs while I head to the backstage area. I hum to myself as I begin organizing boxes and such, making sure everything is in its proper place. My ear flicks as I hear grunts of pain coming off from the side. My eyebrows furrow as I walk closer to the noise, making sure to be light on my feet.

When I get there I see a leg peeking out from the right of a pillar. I tilt my head as I continue to walk closer to the animal that is obviously in pain. I decide not to speak as I stand in front of what is now clearly seen to be Louis. My arms are crossed as I look down at him. The other deer looks up at me in alarm, obviously not wanting to be caught. I glance down at his rolled-up pant leg to see his ankle all bruised and purple, swollen as well. Louis looks away from me in anger. "What are you going to do? Pity me? I don't want to hear it." I scoff, offering my hand for him to take. He refuses, standing up on his own.

"Pity you? For being an idiot? No." He now looks down at me.

"You didn't show up to rehearsal yesterday." I roll my eyes, beginning to walk away. He follows me earnestly. "You aren't off the hook. You can't believe that you can get away with it!" I turn around, glaring at him with venom.

"And you think you can get away with an injury like that?" I gesture to his leg before turning around and continuing to walk. "I was studying," I state bluntly as I make my way into the dressing rooms. Louis still follows.

"You still cannot miss a rehearsal, especially when we are this close to opening night." I walk over to a drawer and pull out a bag before going over to the mini-fridge, putting ice into the bag.

"I got a 62 on my English test," I say as I grab a towel, wrapping it around the bag of ice and thrusting it to Louis. "Take this." He goes to speak but I cut him off. "Don't you dare say you don't need it. At least take care of your ankle if you are going to try and hide it." The male deer huffs as he sits, placing the ice into his ankle. "I'm sorry okay? I wasn't in the right headspace to go to rehearsal yesterday. I would have been miserable. More miserable than usual." I mumble that last sentence to myself.

"Even when you try you still cannot succeed." I wince at the harsh words that Louis says. I look away from Louis as he glares at me harshly. I'm silent, trying to think clearly.

"I know you're upset with me." I begin quietly, "I have bad grades, I missed rehearsal, and I saw you with your guard down. What you just said though, really hurt." I let out a pitiful laugh, looking away, and refusing to make eye contact. "This whole front that you put up? It pisses me off." I say harshly. Louis remains quiet as I rant. "You really hate being a herbivore, don't you? You don't love yourself. You don't want to appear weak." I turn to Louis now, tears collecting in my eyes. "And that makes you seem like an asshole to everyone. Have a good night." I say harshly before leaving the room. Here I thought we would be able to work out our differences and fix things. I was dead wrong. I quickly grab my bag before leaving the building, fully intent on heading back into my dorm.