The Hose or the Animal

"AND SHE'S WATCHING HIM WITH THOSE EYES AND SHE'S LOVING HIM WITH THAT BODY, I JUST KNOW IT... YOU KNOW I WISH I HAD JESSIE'S GIRL"

Staring down at my weighted ring finger, it has been so long since I have seen this engagement ring. I still get the same butterflies from when he first proposed to me, but the ring feels heavier than before.

Reluctantly, I slip it off my finger, not being able to take my eyes away from the diamonds sparkling from the sunshine that beams through my windows,  brightening up the room.

The room darkens dark when I put it back in the engagement box, hiding it in my drawer. 

Keeping this a secret is killing me. 

"I made croissants!" Jess announces when I go downstairs, "what's the special occasion?" I wonder since she hasn't made croissants in a long time, especially out of the blue. 

"No occasion" she smiles before realising I don't believe her, "okay fine" she drops the act, "I was talking to Cruz and he might have told me that something is going on between Kidd and Severide" she reveals the true reason she made the croissants. 

"Well he was telling the truth" I shrug, "they are fooling around with each other" I take a croissant, slicing it in half before filling it with jam. "That must feel like a kick to the teeth" Jess sighs, "not really" I have Jesse again, "as long as he's happy" I take a bite of the croissant.

"No, she doesn't have a fever" Ryan checks my forehead, "you are suspiciously calm about this?" He worries. 

"How many times do I have to tell you guys that me and Severide were never going to be anything other than friends" I feel tired of repeating myself, "plus seeing them together kind of forces me to move on" I continue to eat my croissant. 

"Well that is very mature of you" Jess comments, "I guess you did turn 28 after all" she mocks. 

"I got to go before I am late, but I will see you guys later" I wave before leaving, finding it very hard to ignore the elephant in the room. It's even worse when I am the only one who can see that elephant. 

They still don't know about Jesse and I don't know how I will break it to them. 

Not after everything. 

*

Arriving at the firehouse, I walk to my locker, not expecting to be greeted with Severide and Kidd making out against it. I look down to hide my glare, not even wanting to touch my locker anymore.  

"It's okay I can get changed later" I cough to get their attention.

They pull apart immediately, feeling awkward that I was the one to catch them. Severide sends me a tight-lipped smile before giving her one last kiss and walking off. Kidd stands there, almost frozen, watching him walk away like a teenage girl who just had her first kiss. 

"Sorry you had to see that" I know she isn't sorry, not after what she did. 

"Don't worry about it" I shrug and start to get ready. 

"So anything happen on the Jesse front?" She is so good at pretending like she is on my side, "nothing really" I reply calmly "but once something does happen and I want everyone to know then I will come to you" I fakely smile.