Some Make It, Some Don't

"WHILE I'M DYING HERE TONIGHT, STARING GOODBYE IN THE FACE, FOR SAYING I LOVE YOU TOO LATE"

*A Month After*

I pop the painkiller in my mouth, gulping down a glass of water to get it down my throat. "You okay?" Ryan questions, "yeah" I nod, "just a really bad headache" I sigh.

"You want to call in sick?" He suggests, "it's just a headache, I'm fine" I wave him off, "you have been having a lot of headaches lately," he notices. "It's no big deal, I am probably just stressed" I shrug, "okay, well if it gets worse then go to the doctor" he advises as Jess runs back into the house.

"Look at me, I'm cast free!" Jess shakes her arm around, "no more physiotherapy!" She announces. "Whoo! You did it!" We cheer for her, "you know I don't like this" Ryan adds, "what?" We turn to him.

"You were in the hospital, then Jess" he lists, "I'm next" he theories.

"Okay," I nod, "so we got shot and hit by a car ticked off the list" I play along, "so have fun thinking about what brings you into the hospital" I pat his back as he genuinely starts thinking of it.

"See you guys later" I wave them off before heading to the firehouse.

It's been a month since the whole non-wedding for me and yes-wedding for Gabby and Casey. They only took 2 weeks off for their honeymoon and came straight back to work.

Everything has fallen back into regular rhythm and routine, as though the whole Jesse and Ohio thing never happened, for which I am thankful.

Kelly still isn't giving me a chance, he shuts me out most of time but he fought for me and now it's my turn to fight for him.

Getting to the firehouse, I get changed and go to the living area, sitting down next to Gabby, Brett and Kidd. 

"Maybe he just wants to shake us down" Gabby comments, "who wants to shake you down?" I question. "Louie's biological father" she explains, "is he still bothering you?" I question, "yeah, he keeps pushing for custody"she sighs. 

"Well then he is messing with the wrong girl" I comfort her, "it's going to be okay Gabby" Kidd chimes in. "I mean DCFS will read this guy the RIOT act" she adds as Gabby nods, remaining strong.

"What the hell?" Otis exclaims, "who took the Top Hat" I only just realise that he is playing monopoly with Mouch and Hermann. "Why would somebody take it?" Hermann questions, "come on" he waves it off, "because it's the best piece" Otis argues, "and it's the shiniest" he adds.

"There's nothing shiny in that box, it's been here since '78" Mouch comments, "just like every other game in this place" Hermann mentions, "we've played them all a million times!" He exclaims.

"SQUAD 3! TRUCK 81! PERSON TRAPPED!" The siren goes and we jump up, I give Gabby a good squeeze before rushing to get into our gear and into the rig.

Jumping out once we reach the warehouse.

"Hurry!" A man yells, "this dumbass has his arm stuck and the whole thing is coming down" he leads us inside. "Any workers?" Casey asks, "no they tried to rob the place" he explains. 

Once we get inside, he stays behind while Severide and Casey examine the situation and we wait for orders.

They call us over once they decide on an action plan, we get to work on latching up the kegs and using a ladder as an anchor, in order to stabilise the beer kegs that the victim has his crushed arm under. Truck on one side while Squad on the other, we pull back against the latch to help with the balance. 

"COME ON!" I can hear Otis yell and the sound of beer spraying but since they are on the other side, I can't see much.

We pull until the tower is lined up straight.