12

I dipped into a curtsy and watched as the girls marveled at the prince who looked great, despite his distasteful attitude

I dipped into a curtsy and watched as the girls marveled at the prince who looked great, despite his distasteful attitude. He was dressed in a sleek suit, adorned with medals showcasing the many achievements I guessed deemed him fit for a prince. He walked down the stairs, his expression warm but his eyes steely and cold. I couldn't understand why the Ladies fawned over someone who probably didn't have emotions. 

"Now, the Ladies dance with other eligible members of the court," Fiona whispered. 

Great. I had to dance with some random guy as I was a 100 percent sure the prince wasn't choosing me to dance with first. 

Everyone watched as the prince walked towards the Ladies, each Lady probably praying in her heart that he would chose her. I wasn't surprised when Prince Carlos stopped in front of Esme and bowed. Esme curtsied, not bothering to hide the smug smile that resided on her face. He took her hand and led her across the dance floor, cuing the music to begin. 

Soon, male courtiers took the hands of the Ladies, leaving me stranded. I feared I wouldn't get chosen to dance until a man with protruding front teeth bowed in front of me. I had to admit, he had a very...peculiar look and his bright red hair didn't make him any less noticeable. 

"Lady Madeline, would you like to have this dance?" He asked. 

I didn't want to dance with him- or anybody, but I didn't think refusal was an option. It was stated in the rules of The Choice, which we learnt in Finishing School History, that after The Cut, Ladies who were not chosen by the Prince could be courted by the other eligible courtiers- Noble's sons, Lords etc. 

I silently hoped that was not this man's idea. 

"Of course," I gave him what I hoped looked like a sweet smile and followed him to the middle of the ballroom where we began to waltz. I said a silent prayer to the gods above, hoping that I would remember all I'd struggled to grasp and not make a complete fool of myself.  

"You're very beautiful," He said. I realized he was nervous from the way he blinked rapidly. 

"Thank you very much...," I trailed off, leaving a space for his name. 

"Lord Ballard," He nodded. 

"So...what brings you to court?" I asked, though I couldn't care less about his life story. 

"My father actually sent me here, in hopes that I find a bride," Lord Ballard sighed. 

"Do you want to find a bride?" I asked, blowing out my cheeks. From the corner of my eye, I could see Esme dancing with Prince Carlos. They conversed, Esme looking at the Prince sheepishly. Prince Carlos smiled though his eyes remained dead and cold. 

Fiona was dancing with an average looking man. I knew how badly she wanted to dance with the Prince as much as anyone but her ladylike expression did not falter.