54

The next morning, I woke up with a pounding headache, probably from all the thinking

The next morning, I woke up with a pounding headache, probably from all the thinking. It was the day after The Masquerade Ball and the day before The Choosing Ceremony. Just a few days until it was all over. A few days until I knew for sure what my fate would be. 

I tried hard to not let the thoughts from the night before resurface so I decided to distract myself by stocking up on breakfast. I stuffed myself with pancakes, waffles and different types of fruit. As I gulped down my orange juice, I realized how much I would miss the palace's food. Don't get me wrong. The food at the manor is great but with all the restrictions and rules my mother created, I hadn't realized how much I was missing. 

After eating, I didn't know what to do next. I wanted to spend my last day in the palace exploring, salvaging what luxury and discovery I had left before I returned to Colgate- back to my boring, dreary life. 

On the contrary, I feared being seen wandering about the palace. The events of the day before were still very much etched in my brain- as well as everyone else's. If I was caught, I doubted Amancio and Carlos could help me out as easily. 

After a few minutes of overthinking, I decided to go to the Ladies' Salon. It had been a while since I'd been there and even if the collection of books in the library was devastating, I was almost desperate to find anything to take my mind off The Choosing Ceremony. 

"Well, well, if it isn't Lady Madeline," Esme smirked, blocking my path in the hallway. 

"Get out of my way, Esme," I rolled my eyes. I wasn't in the mood to deal with her- or any of the other Ladies. 

"I have to say, I missed you at The Masquerade Ball," Esme's eyebrows furrowed in mock concern. "Did you have nothing to wear? Or were you just chicken?"

"Something along the lines of that. But a little birdie told me Prince Carlos was too preoccupied to even look at you at the ball," Esme left me no other choice. 

Her eyes narrowed and the realization dawned on her, her eyebrows raising. "You were Lady Sombre, weren't you?" 

"Lady Sombre, never heard that name before," I feigned confusion. I began to walk away, towards the Ladies' Salon. 

"Whatever Madeline. When Carlos picks me as his choice tomorrow- I'll make you pay," Esme called as I walked further. 

"I guess we'll see tomorrow, won't we?" I called back, not even bothering to turn around. 

*** 

Luckily I met the Ladies' Salon unoccupied. I couldn't bear another interaction from the other Ladies. Dealing with Esme was enough. Thankfully, once the competition was over- no matter what the outcome was, I wouldn't have to deal with any of them. 

I pulled a random book of the Salon's bookshelves and flung myself against one of the chaises. The book was awfully boring and the author's language was hard to understand- but it did the trick. The amount of energy I used trying to understand what the book was about distracted me from the thoughts that were running 1,000m marathons in my head. 

I had just finished the first chapter of the book when the door to the Ladies' Salon creaked open. I didn't bother to look up from my book to see who it was so I continued reading, until the person spoke. 

"Madeline! Thank goodness you're OK," A familiar voice breathed. 

My blood boiled as I realized who the voice belonged to. 

Fiona. 

Slowly, trying to calm myself down, I lowered the book, fixing Fiona with a steely glare. 

Her brows furrowed in confusion. "Madeline, is everything OK?" 

"No, nothing's OK, Fiona- because you lied to me and sabotaged me," I seethed, anger pulsing in my veins. 

"Madeline, what are you talking about?" Fiona looked at me like I was drunk on mead. 

"Don't play dumb, Fiona," I folded my arms across my chest. "I know you ruined my dress after lying to me about Carlos." 

"What has gotten into you? I'm your best friend, Madeline," Fiona looked on the verge of tears but I wasn't buying it. 

"Everything changed after you found out I was meeting up with Carlos. We haven't been best friends ever since," I shook my head. I couldn't believe she could stand right in front of me and lie to me. "The fact that you pretend to know nothing about it proves my point. Just admit that you did it, gosh." 

Fiona was silent after that. She took multiple breaths, the tears that were in her eyes fell, plopping onto the Salon's carpet. 

I'd never felt so hurt...so betrayed before. I realized there was probably a reason why I didn't have many friends- or any friends at all. 

"OK, I admit it," Fiona sniffed, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I ruined your dress, Madeline. Is that what you wanted to hear?" 

"Why?" It hurt to even ask. 

"I see the way Carlos looks at you, like a puppy would look at a bone. When I found out you were meeting up with him I couldn't take it. You said you hated him, that you wanted nothing to do with him. But there you were, reading with him, laughing with him.  

"I have to marry Carlos, Madeline. If not my mother will marry me off to some ancient Lord with a reputation for hitting women. You don't understand how...hard it's been, pretending to stand you while you're pulling the strings of my destiny," Fiona's hands were shaking and I realized I was looking at a side of Fiona I'd never seen before. 

A side of Fiona that...scared me. 

"You know what Fiona," I shook my head. I tried to feel remorse for her. I tried. But I could only feel betrayed and toyed with. "I really thought you were different. I really did. But turns out you're just like the rest of them. You're just like Esme, like Ashley. In fact, I think you're worse." 

Do you guys forgive Fiona or not? Let me know in the comments

Do you guys forgive Fiona or not? Let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading this far. 

Chapters 55 and 56 are coming tomorrow so stay tuned <3. 

Don't forget to vote, comment and share. Also, please wear your masks and stay safe. xoxo.