25

"Esme! Esme Addington, I swear if you don't let me out this instance!" I yelled, but there was no reply

"Esme! Esme Addington, I swear if you don't let me out this instance!" I yelled, but there was no reply. She was already gone. 

I was more shocked than angry. I knew Esme was cunning but I didn't expect her to do something this drastic. I was trapped in the Ladies' Salon and the ball was bound to start at any second. I looked around the Ladies Salon for a way to escape but there was none. The windows were sealed shut and the door apparently, was locked as well. 

"Help! Somebody, anybody!" I screamed, banging on the door so hard my fists hurt. 

Dejected and tired, I slid down against the door, staring at my stupid dress. To make matters even worse, the bell tolled, signifying the start of the ball. I knew that missing the ball was a big deal and would most likely affect my chances of lasting through The Cut, no matter what Carlos'decisions were. 

I closed my eyes and let out a sigh, wondering if anyone would notice my absence? Would Fiona? Would Amancio? Would Carlos? 

*** 

A few minutes of sitting and doing absolutely nothing, I desperately looked for a way out. The door was locked shut so the only alternative was finding a key or breaking the door handle. The only problem was finding something heavy enough to do the job. 

I paced around the Salon, frantically searching for something light enough that I could carry, but heavy enough that it would be able to break the lock. 

 The Ladies' Salon wasn't well appointed, as the Ladies' Wing was used rarely. There were only a few mahogany tables, lounge chairs, the bookshelf and the chess piece. There was nothing I could really use. 

Dispirited, I slumped on a chair, staring at the embellishments on the ceiling, wondering how the ball was going. 

*** 

Prince Carlos 

The ball had long since commenced and Madeline still could not be found. I couldn't help but worry. It didn't seem like her to just back out- or maybe she changed her mind about staying. Even if she didn't, The Choice rules state that a Lady that didn't attend The Demi Ball would be automatically disqualified from the competition. 

"It's time for the first dance, Carlos," Amancio whispered. 

Lost in my thoughts, I'd forgotten where I was. 

"Where's Madeline?" I asked. 

Amancio's eyebrows pulled together. "I haven't seen her. Trust me, I'll look for her." 

I nodded, walking towards where the Ladies were lined up, fully aware of the hundreds of eyes on me. 

"Lady Fiona," I stretched forth my hand. 

A hint of surprise could be seen in her eyes as she curtsied. 

My picking a Lady had signified the start of the dance and soon, the ball's attendants were already paired up. 

"Have you seen Lady Madeline anywhere?" I asked, knowing that Fiona was her friend. 

Fiona shook her head. "I haven't seen her. I hope she's OK." 

I hoped so too. It would be hard advocating for her stay if she didn't attend The Demi Ball.

*** 

Lady Madeline Prowess

"Let me out of here! Help!" I screamed until my voice was hoarse. 

I had tried, and failed, to find something heavy enough to break the door and I sighed. I wasn't counting but the tik toking wall grandfather clock didn't cease to remind me that time was running out. I had missed almost the entire ball and if I didn't get out at that moment, my chances of staying through The Cut would be thrown out the window. 

What I didn't understand was why would Esme do something like this? I knew we were sworn enemies but I wasn't a threat to her at all. Her place as one of The Six was practically guaranteed.  

The same questions ran over and over through my head. Was anyone even looking for me? Was Fiona too busy dancing with the Nobles to notice my absence? Did Carlos think I couldn't care less and had run away? Did Amancio think I didn't care about our dancing lessons? Would I ever get out of the room? Or would Esme leave me there to die? 

*** 

A few painful hours passed until I realized that the ball was over. I would be sent home for not attending The Demi Ball. I would return to my boring life at the Prowess manor. And I would never see Fiona, Amancio or Carlos ever again. 

Angrily, I wiped the single tear that wiped down my cheek. I wasn't going to let Esme get to me. I had to find another way. 

Suddenly, an idea that I hadn't even considered popped into my brain. I pulled my hair out of the updo Imogen had done and smiled when my fingers brushed against the bobby pun. 

"Ha!" I exclaimed, turning the small metal in my fingers. 

I let out a breath, biting my lip in concentration as I pushed the bobby pin further into the keyhole, turning a few times. 

"Please work," I whispered. 

After about a minute of turning, a satisfying click could be heard and I pulled open the door. 

"Thank God," I sighed. 

But, my escape didn't mean I was salvaged. I had still missed The Demi Ball. But there was only one way I could think to help myself. 

Hi everyone!!! So school started today and it's been so annoying so far

Hi everyone!!! So school started today and it's been so annoying so far. I can't wait to just be done with it all. How was school for you- if you've started? 

Don't forget to vote, comment and share. Stay safe guys!