44

"I wonder what life would be like in the palace," Caroline sighed wistfully as we walked to breakfast

"I wonder what life would be like in the palace," Caroline sighed wistfully as we walked to breakfast. "Is it really all balls and tea parties, Madeline?" 

"No, it isn't," I sighed. My mother and Caroline were very infuriating and I didn't know how much longer I'd be able to put up with them. 

"How about the other Ladies? Have you made any friends?" My mother demanded. 

I shook my head. I didn't think Fiona counted me as a friend anymore. "The other Ladies are spoiled brats, mother." 

"I can testify about Lady Esme Addington. I met her at Philomena's baby shower and she's the worst," Caroline groaned. 

"But her father is a high ranking noble so she has an advantage in the competition, am I right?" My mother narrowed her eyes. 

"Yes, mother," I sighed. 

"We're going to need new dresses imported from Milan," A high-pitched, haughty voice interrupted. 

"I want my dresses from India, mother," Esme spat the word mother like it was an insult. 

Low and behold, right behind us was Esme and a woman I presumed was her mother. The woman was blonde, young and had her nose up in the air like she knew she was better. Surprisingly, a young girl walked beside them. She looked like a carbon copy of Esme, down to the annoyed expression on her face. I placed her at around 12 or 13 years old. 

"I want a dress too!" She protested. 

"Shut up, Eva. You're not the one becoming Queen, are you?" Esme rolled her eyes. 

"I want Lady Fiona to win," Eva snapped back and Esme narrowed her eyes. 

"Girls, girls, we have company," Esme's mother eyed us. 

Esme sniffed. "Not any company worth talking to, mother. Let's go so we can get the best seats at the breakfast table." 

My mother, Caroline and I watched as Esme and her 'family' walked on. 

"What a horrid young lady," My mother frowned. "But I have to admit, she is gorgeous." 

"She has the face of an angel and the personality of the devil himself," I muttered as we followed behind them. 

*** 

Breakfast was held in the palace gardens and I could tell by the stares we were given, we were already late. 

"So they just let commoners into this competition?" I heard someone whisper. 

Caroline gasped before I nudged her in the side so as not to cause a scene. I had a feeling this breakfast would be the longest, unbearable meal in the competition. 

I used the time before breakfast was served to observe the Ladies and their families. 

Esme's mother examined her face in her reflection on a glass cup while her sister, Eva, frowned so hard, the thought that her face would remain like that didn't leave my mind.