24

The Demi ball came quicker than I'd expected

The Demi ball came quicker than I'd expected. It was the last event before The Cut so everyone was busy. Fortunately, I'd managed to escape the frantic Imogen and Lucy and find solace in the garden, a book tucked under my arm. I'm too busy reveling under the soft breeze to see the workman walking right towards me with what looked like ball decorations. 

"Out of my way!" He grunted and I ducked quickly, barely escaping injury. 

"You always seem to be in some sort of a stitch," A familiar voice noted. 

I turned just in time to catch Carlos, his lips tugged in a mini-smile. It had been a while since I'd seen him and I had to admit, I missed our library rendezvous. Just because of the books, not because of him. 

"Don't you have a ball to prepare for?" I asked, feigning annoyance. I stuck my nose in the air like I'd seen the other Ladies do countless times. 

"I should be asking you the same thing," He said, as we walked deeper into the gardens, away from the public eye. 

"I'm not the one who has to make the biggest decision of the century," I joked. 

Carlos sighed, running his hands through his hair- something I'd never seen him do before. I had to admit, it caught me unawares as it seemed a very un-princely thing to do. Despite his new disheveled look, Carlos let out a breath. 

"If only you knew how hard this was, Madeline." 

I plucked off a daffodil and sniffed deeply before answering. "I wouldn't understand because I don't have 11 girls jockeying for my hand. But, I feel your angst." 

"Who do you think I should chose?" He asked, his green eyes meeting mine. 

I almost choked on my own saliva, something that happened to me too many times to count. 

He was asking me?

"Y-you're asking me?" I asked. "Well..." 

Thinking about it, I actually had no idea who Carlos could marry. Esme, obviously wasn't an option. I liked Carlos enough not to throw him to the wolves. I could've said Fiona, but imposing a Lady on Carlos just seemed wrong. 

"Actually, I haven't the slightest idea," I said, truthfully. "On the other hand, The Cut will help you narrow down the Ladies." 

"Any Ladies you think I should send home?" Carlos asked, smiling. He was obviously hinting at me not wanting to be there. 

"Well you should definitely send Esme home," I rolled my eyes. I ached to see the look on Esme's face if she was sent home at The Cut. 

"It's a little more complicated than that. Esme's father is a Marquess so she's pretty much guaranteed to last through The Cut," Carlos explained, looking tired. 

I folded my arms across my chest. "That's a load of cow crap and you know it. If ranks and titles matter then this competition is as good as rigged."