21

A few days passed after my encounter with Prince Carlos, and many more followed after that

A few days passed after my encounter with Prince Carlos, and many more followed after that. I had to admit, Prince Carlos was not what I expected. He was still quite stand-offish and a bit detached but my time spent with him made me realize he had some sort of humor- and a great taste in books. A few weeks ago, I would never believe that I would call Carlos an acquaintance but there I was. 

I woke up feeling quite happy, despite the fact that I had dance lessons again. I had long finished The Lion's Heart and was quite satisfied when Aeschylus was killed by his son, Basil. Carlos had recommended yet another book for me and I just couldn't wait to get started on it. 

"Looks like someone woke up on the right side of the bed today," Imogen remarked, as I slipped into my cream coloured day dress, that fit a little too snugly- probably as a result of my eating habits. 

"I'm just happy to get some sunshine in my system," I sighed, smiling widely. 

"I thought you said you hated dance class days," Lucy noted, unraveling my hair from the messy bun I'd slept with. 

"I do hate dance class days, but I'm glad there's no major event coming soon," I examined my teeth in the mirror. 

"Except from The Demi Ball- which is extremely important," Imogen added, alarmed. 

I couldn't hide the fact that I did not know what The Demi Ball was and why it was so important. The Choice was taught as a topic in history class- we had to memorize the rules, the past winners etc. As I have mentioned before, I never paid attention in any of my Finishing School classes. 

"You don't know what that is, do you?" Lucy sighed, helplessly, like she didn't know how hopeless I was from the start. 

"Isn't it just a fancy ball for Nobles to flaunt their wealth?" I asked, smiling sweetly. 

Imogen raised an eyebrow, not impressed. 

"And us Ladies will be there as beautiful trophies?" I compensated. 

"The Demi Ball is the last main event before The Cut. After that, The Cutting dinner is held and the Ladies who have not made it will leave," Lucy explained, tugging my hair into a complicated Bohemian bun. 

"This ball is different in the sense that the citizens of Aridia alike will be invited, via the raffle invites. This is a chance for you to prove your worth, Lady Madeline," Imogen added. 

Great, just another event to put me on edge. It did feel weird that my time at the palace was coming to an end. At least I would be able to return to my miserable, boring life at the Prowess Manor and not have to worry about being kicked out in disgrace. Plus, I wouldn't have to deal with more than one air-headed Lady as Caroline still existed. 

"Bottom line is, Lady Madeline, this ball is a big deal," Lucy said. They probably thought I was planning to stay past The Cut though I didn't tell them my true intentions so as not to disappoint them. I would miss Imogen and Lucy tremendously. As well as Fiona, Amancio and even...Carlos? 

*** 

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages," Fiona dragged the word 'ages' as she linked her hand through mine. "Are you excited for dance classes, today?" 

"Are you seriously asking me that, Fiona?" I asked, as we walked into the vast dance room. Knots filled my stomach as soon as I saw the other girls. Queen Esme was whispering something to Ashley and Petulia while the other girls conversed in smaller groups. With the few event less days, I'd sort of forgotten that the other Ladies existed. 

"You'll be fine," Fiona whispered, as we got in line. 

"Well look what the cat dragged in. If it isn't Lady Madeline Prowess and her trusty sidekick. Or is it the other way around?" Esme asked, her eyebrows arched in an evil smirk. 

"Didn't you wear that dress last week?" Ashley sniffed, like I was some sort of creature. 

The other girls giggled and murmured but I was prepared to pounce on Ashley and Esme. One thing I would be ecstatic about after leaving the competition was not having to see their stupid perfect faces. 

"Bonjour, mademoiselles. Let's get zis started. Vite Vite!" Monsieur Alfric clapped his hands together, gliding effortlessly through the room. 

"As you know, Le Demi Ball is coming up very soon. You will need to brush up on your dancing skills, non? Maintenant, let me zee your Waltz. Partner up, vite vite!" 

I let out a tired puff of air as Fiona and I partnered up. I desperately tried to remember how to Waltz as the music began to play, the Ladies' laughs echoing each time I stumbled 

*** 

"You look like you've been wrung out," Amancio noted, his eyes full of concern. 

To be honest, seeing Amancio's face was much better than spending 2 hours dancing with a couple of glorified rag dolls. 

"Dance lessons," I sighed, leaning against the wall. Dance lessons were finally over and as I left the dance room, I ran into Amancio- again! It seemed like it was becoming a habit of ours. 

"With Monsieur Alfric, huh?" He asked, his lips tugging in a grin. 

I nodded. "That man is a machine. And it doesn't help that I don't know how to dance, with The Demi Ball coming up and all that." 

"Wow," Amancio raised his eyebrows. "I can't believe we're so close to The Cut already. Carlos must be going through a tough time." 

"I just hope he makes the right decision for himself," I said, truthfully. "In the meantime, I'll be trying to relearn the Waltz because apparently, I've learnt the wrong way." 

I was prepared to leave until Amancio stopped me, his marble grey eyes twinkling. "You know, I did pass Monsieur Alfric's dance class with flying colours. I could teach you." 

My jaw almost dropped to the ground. It wasn't often that people did nice gestures for me. "You would? Seriously?" 

Amancio nodded grinning. "It would be a chance for us to get to know each other better." 

"That sounds too good to be true. But if you must know, I'm an extremely hard student to teach," I warned. 

"I'm a great teacher, don't worry," Amancio smiled. "You'll be a dance master in less than a day." 

With that, Amancio winked and continued walking down the hall. I, on the other hand, didn't move. Why did I accept to take dance lessons from Amancio? And why did my stomach clench with excitement when I thought about it?

 Why did I accept to take dance lessons from Amancio? And why did my stomach clench with excitement when I thought about it?

Hey guysss! Good news, I finally finished writing The Choice but I don't plan on releasing the full book at a time. Do you guys prefer the 2 chapters a day or you could recommend something else but keep in mind I literally have school in 2 DAYS. How did summer fly by this fast ugh!  

I'm also thinking of writing a sequel but when you guys get to the last chapters you'll understand why. 

Don't forget to vote, comment and share. Stay safe guys, x.