45

"What was that Madeline?" My mother demanded, barging into my room

"What was what?" I didn't look up from my book. 

"That...tantrum you threw," My mother huffed. 

"That was hardly a tantrum mother, you should know," I tried to make it look like I was still reading. 

"What will the nobles think of you?" My mother sighed. 

"They'll think she's a girl who doesn't take crap from anyone," Caroline's voice startled me. 

I had to admit, I was stunned. Caroline sticking up for me and complimenting me in the same sentence was rarer than green rain. 

"What are you talking about, Caroline?" My mother raised an eyebrow. 

"I'm saying that Madeline showed she wouldn't be pushed around today. They will respect her," Caroline confirmed. 

I didn't know what to say...or do. 

"Stop opening and closing your mouth like a fish before I take back my comment," Caroline snapped. 

There she was.

"You just might be right, Caroline. Besides, that Kensley woman was really pushing her luck. Who does she think she is?" My mother huffed. 

"So you really have no friends in this competition?" Caroline looked shocked. 

I shrugged. I wasn't ready to explain to them what happened between Fiona and I.

"I know you're...you, but I'd have thought you'd at least have acquaintances," Caroline looked puzzled. 

"Well, no. They all hate me," I rolled my eyes, turning over in bed. 

The room was silent for a while until I remembered a question that had been roaming around my head. 

"Where's father? Why couldn't he make it?" I asked. 

My mother and Caroline exchanged nervous glances, something that had never happened before. 

I sat up straight. There was definitely something they were hiding from me and I needed to know. 

"What? What's the secret?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. "Did he get allergies again?" 

"No, Madeline. That's not it," Caroline's eyes had lost their usual spark. 

"Then what is?" I started to get worried. 

"The rebels are trying to take over Colgate," Caroline sputtered. 

My heart sank to the floor. 

"W-what?" I stammered. 

"They first attacked a few days ago. It started small, vandalism and the likes. But they want to take over Colgate like they've done the other counties," My mother's voice broke. "They want to take everything we have."