19- Man Down

The Fairchild siblings knocked on the door, loud and firm to make sure that Dot would hear them. As she opened the door, she gasped when she realised who it was and hugged both Ethan and Clary tightly. 

"Oh my god, you have absolutely no idea how terrified I was to hear that you had all gone missing! I mean, I heard the noises but when I went up there, your flat was a mess and you were all nowhere to be seen!" Dot exclaimed, stepping back from the embrace.

She held Ethan and Clary's faces in her hands in turn, then frowned, her brow furrowed in confusion.

"But where's your mother?"

"She was taken, Dot," Clary said, butting in before Ethan could reply, "but we can get her back. And we need your help"

Dot nodded, her face grave, and invited the siblings to step inside. As they did so, Ethan took the time to elbow Clary.

"Ow," she hissed, "what was that for?"

"For telling Dot that Mom was taken," Ethan said, his eyes darting around frantically, "There's something going on here, and I'm not sure what, but it doesn't feel right"

Clary scoffed and wrapped an arm around her big brother in a sort of awkward side hug. 

"E, you're just being paranoid now. This is Dot, we've known her for years, we can trust her. What could possibly go wrong?"

She walked off in front, and Ethan shook his head in exasperation. 

"Well, now you've said that, everything will go wrong" he muttered under his breath, before following her into Dot's living room.

As Clary sat down and started to talk to Dot, Ethan wandered around the room, looking in drawers and tracing shelves. Eventually, he saw a box of tarot cards, and picked them up. He looked at Dot, quizzically.

"Ah the tarot cards," Dot exclaimed, taking them from Ethan and laying the cards out on the coffee table, one by one, "You know, I think this is the best gift I ever received from your mother"

Clary and Ethan shared a glance, and at that moment each one knew exactly what the other was thinking.

"Dot, will you show us how it works? You know, tarot-card readings" Ethan asked, sending his most charming smile her way.

Dot smiled back and then returned her attention to the cards, gesturing for Ethan to come and sit on the other side of her.

"Now, trace your fingers over the cards and when you feel one that is hotter or colder than the rest, I want you to pick it up and turn it over"

Ethan was the first to try. He ran his hands across the cards one, two, three times. It was only on the fourth that Ethan felt a mild burning sensation on the tip of his finger when he touched a particular card. He winced as he picked it up and turned it over: The Lovers.

Dot gasped. "Wow, that must be really strong! I can practically feel the heat radiating off it from here. Have you already met this special someone, Ethan?"

Ethan blushed crimson, whilst Clary smiled, knowingly. "Maybe..."

"Well, this card is upright, so that tends to mean that you have either met your soulmate, or you will in a short time. It means that you have a deep connection with this person, and that you will never let them go. You are both kindred spirits and are meant to be together. Oh, how lucky, Ethan!"

Dot seemed incredibly excited on Ethan's behalf, whilst Ethan decided that it was time to get the attention off him. 

"Clary, your go," Ethan said, and Dot seemed to lose the enthusiasm that she had harboured when Ethan showed an interest.