Chapter 9.

UWA

"How far? Any news?" Nimi asks, taking her seat.

"Nothing o. Hmm.." I shrug. It's been one week now and I guess their we will get back to you was as I predicted.

"And we have approximately two weeks left to make complete payment for the treatment. What do I do now?" I place my hands on my head in fright.

"Calm down, you hear. I will look for something from my side too. Highest, we will split our incoming salary if they pay early and survive on the remaining money. Right now, all we need to do is pray that they pay us on time since next weekend is end of the month." She says, trying to comfort me.

"What will I do without you? Thank you." Honestly, I am grateful.

"Babes, don't mention. We are not bestfriends for nothing. Besides, when I had serious issues the other time, you helped." She says, shrugging her shoulders.

"Goodnight o. Let me go and sleep. You know a girl has Lekki to go to tomorrow." I am feeling sleeping already and it is even 9pm. Let me sleep well, at least till next weekend again before I get to rest like this.

"It is not only a girl. It is a human being." She says, laughing behind me.

Not forgetting to set my alarm, I change into my night wear and sleep.

The next morning, I head to work. Nothing special, except of course, my energy giver AKA my cup of coffee. My creme de la creme.

During break time, I receive a call from an unknown number and jolt up to answer it. I have been hyperactive lately whenever I hear my phone ring, silently hoping that it is 'the call'.

"Hello." I say to the caller immediately I pick up my phone.

"Am I speaking to Miss Abieyuwa?" A man's voice says.

"Yes, you are." I reply.

"This is Dr. Douglas from University of Benin Teaching Hospital, calling on behalf of your brother, Osato Omozuwa." He says.

"Okayy.." I draw out.

"This is just a reminder with respect to the complete payment for his treatment. You have little time to complete it, ma'am." I know and I don't need a reminder of my inabilities.

"Thank you, Doctor. I will come up with the money before then. Please continue treating him." I plead.

"Alright. If you say so." The line goes dead.

I let out a heavy sigh, just thinking about the current situation. To even eat is a problem as the food has lost its taste in my mouth. I just stare at the plate of rice and meat in front of me and slide it away from my view, clearly bothered. I will never forgive myself if Osato does not survive this illness.

God Almighty! You have seen my heart. Please I need your divine intervention in my life right now. Nimi said not to be bothered but I can't help but worry about it and that is completely normal.

My phone rings again and I look at it to see another unknown number. I just hiss and make a decision not pick it up, not in the mood to give myself any false hopes. The ringing stops and soon enough, it starts again. Who is this one now? Mtcheew. Just before the ring tone stops, I decide to pick up.

"Hello." I say into the phone.

"Hi." The voice of a female says.

"I am positive I am on the phone with Miss Abieyuwa Gift Omozuwa." She adds.

"Yes, you are. Please who am I unto?" I ask, confused.

"I am Natasha Wilson calling from the Human Resource department of Jimdey Firm. We sent you a mail on Thursday to confirm your availability for the job you got interviewed for two weeks back but we got no response from you and today is already Monday." She says. The words rush in my head and the one thing I can register in my mind is that I got the job. Putting the call on mute, I stand up to squeal, also jumping in the process. Curious eyes of the other customers here in the eatery turn to my direction but I really don't care.