Chapter 22.

DEJI

Since the day she flared up, I have decided to just let her be and not speak to her because I was beyond shocked. The more appauling part is why I even kissed her. What on earth prompted me to do that?

It is raining season already in Lagos, so the weather is really not pleasant. My mom and Shalewa are currently at my door, waiting for me to open up.

"E kaaro ma (Good morning, ma)." I greet my mom the moment they step into the house.

"Omo mi (my child)." She cooes, touching my head. Behind her is a frowning Shalewa.

"Don't you have work?" I ask her. This one will be missing out of work because she works at Dad's company and he is not in the country right now.

"Please tell your mother o. She is the one that forced me to drive her here when her driver is at home doing nothing." She says, still frowning her face. Now I understand.

"Omo yi (this child). You don't have manners at all." Mom addresses her. Please, this their drama is something I don't think I am ready for this morning.

"Deji, my son. Have you eaten this morning?" Mom asks me.

"No, I have not eaten." I reply her.

"You see why I have been telling you to get married, abi (right)? If you had a wife now, she would have cooked for you and be taking care of you now that you are sick." Well, give it up to my mom for always bringing up marriage talks at any opportunity she gets.

"Anyways, remember that my friend, Yemisi. I have set up a date for you with her daughter Lola." She adds, taking her seat.

"Mommy, at least allow him regain his health before you start talking about marriage again na." It was Shalewa's turn to express her amazement at this woman we call our mom.

"Gbenu e soun (keep quiet)." She eyes Shalewa from head to toe and does a click sound with her tongue before carrying the cooler she brought with her to the kitchen, returning with a plate of yam porridge for me to eat.

After eating, I take some drugs and sleep, leaving Shalewa and my mom to do whatever they wanted.

I wake up to the noise of commotion going on in my house.

"Ma, I am just here to drop some documents for Mr. Shodeinde." I hear Uwa's voice trying to explain to my fuming mother. Please, don't tell me Timi sent Uwa. This guy knows my resentment towards her and yet he still sent her here.

"Mommy, please allow the girl. She is his assistant." Shalewa notices that I have woken up and mouths 'talk to your mother' to me.

"What's going on?" I say, still trying to process the scene I had woken up to. What could probably have provoked mom's reaction?

"Who is this girl?" She asks.

"She is my assistant."

"Eh ehn. Assistant." She replies, accessing her.

"You better be his assistant and nothing else. My son is not for your likes." She shoots back in addition.

"I'll send you details about the date with Lola." She says. I am not going for any date with any girl she sets me up with. This woman needs to stop interfering. It is annoying enough that she makes me stomach her marriage taunts anytime we meet. One of the reasons I avoided visiting them at home.

Mom pushes her out of the way and exits the house with Shalewa in tow.

"Sorry about that." I surprise myself sometimes, though. Why did I apologize?