A Closer Eye

"SHOULDN'T LOVE YOU BUT I COULDN'T HELP IT, I ALWAYS KNEW THAT YOU WERE TOO DAMN SELFISH"

*2 Months Later*

"So you're not going on a second date with him?" I question as we walk up towards Firehouse 53, "absolutely not" Eliza cringes, "oh don't be so mean" I playfully nudge her. "You cannot talk because you weren't there" she nudges me back.

"He can't be that bad" I defend, "he didn't use utensils" she points out. "Some people prefer eating with their hands" I shrug, "please tell me who prefers eating spaghetti with their hands instead of a perfectly good fork!" She exclaims. 

"Plus you didn't see the looks we got" she adds.

"Looks? I thought you cooked dinner at your house" I reply, "no, we were at a restaurant" she starts to feel embarrassed again as she has flashbacks to her terrible date.

"Still, I think you should give him another try" I struggle to keep a straight face.

"If you want him" she offers, "I'm alright" I decline, "okay maybe not him but I have some guy friends who I can set you up with" she suggests. "I'm alright" I decline again, "come on, you have been out of the dating game for so long that you think a guy who doesn't know how to use utensils is prime dating material" she jokes.

"After all the dating horror stories you have told me" I start, "you definitely are not selling me on getting back into the game" we walk into the locker room.

"Only 40% of the dates you go on will be bad" she replies, "that means 60% are great" she tries to convince me. 

"I would but I just don't have the time right now" I respond, "oh because you are so busy with training to be a Lieutenant" she teases me as we get changed. "Exactly" I put on my work shirt, "I don't have that much time between work and cramming for the exam" I explain.

"You totally got this" Eliza encourages me, "you will make Lieutenant easy" I wish I had the same faith in myself.

"I hope so" I sigh.

Camille's mentorship has really made me feel more comfortable with all the responsibility that comes with the bugles. 

In two months time, as long as I pass the test, I will be a Lieutenant. 

I have to say I thought I would be more excited than I am.

"SQUAD 6! ENGINE 53! TRUCK 91! AMBULANCE 75!" The siren goes.

"They are playing our song" Eliza comments as we close our lockers and run to our rigs. Splitting off as Eliza runs to Truck and I rush to the Squad rig, gearing up with the guys before we jump in and get driving. 

Lieutenant Camille still sitting upfront. 

"I don't believe you, Thatcher" Abadi rolls his eyes, "believe it my friend" he leans back all smug. "What did you do?" I question, "he got with Suzie Hadden" Henares answers, "wait? As in Commissioner Hadden's daughter?" I gasp.

"He stopped being Commissioner two months ago which means his daughter is fair game" Thatcher shrugs, "you're lucky that you're a pretty boy Thatcher" Camille chimes in, "or you wouldn't get away with all you do" she chuckles.

"So you think I'm a pretty boy?" Thatcher leans forward towards her.

"I'll burn you" Camille warns with a smile.

"Heard loud and clear Lieutenant" Thatcher sits back in his seat.

"Can you not be such a guy sometimes, Thatcher?" I comment, "where's the fun in that?" He adjusts his helmet. "I swear you're the only female that he hasn't tried to get with" Barker joins the conversation from the driver's seat.