Make it Right

"I THINK HE DID IT, BUT I JUST CAN'T PROVE IT... BUT I AIN'T LETTING UP UNTIL THE DAY I DIE" 

Waiting outside Abigail's school, watching as Amber drops her off. She watches Abigail walk inside before turning around to leave but she is startled to see me behind her. I waited for her to reach out since our last interaction but she never did. 

So I need to take matters into my own hands.

She tries to avoid me but I stop her, not letting her walk away. 

"Olivia-" she tries, "get in the car, Amber" I state. She goes to refuse but she can tell from my expression that I am not going to let this go. 

She hesitantly follows me back to my car so we can have some freedom to talk without worrying about him having eyes on her. 

"I am not letting this go, Amber" I state, "this isn't your fight, Olivia" she replies. "The hell it is!" I exclaim, "what am I meant to do? Simply stand by as he hurts you and Abigail" I point out, "he hasn't lifted a finger to Abigail" she defends. 

"He doesn't have to hit her to hurt her" I remind her and she shuts down. She knows I am right but she isn't ready to hear it. 

"Amber, I can't even imagine what you are going through right now" I lower my voice, not wanting to be so combative and push her away, "and I know you want to protect your daughter and you think this is your way of protecting her" I continue. 

"But he is a terrible man and a danger to the both of you" she doesn't argue, looking out the window so she can avoid my gaze. 

"He beats you, Amber, all the time" I state, "that anger doesn't just disappear and soon enough, beating you won't be enough for him, he'll kill you" I warn her and she looks down at her lap, trying to hide her tears. 

"And if you die, what happens to Abigail?" She finally looks up at me, her teary eyes filled with fear and anxiety. 

"What about you, Amber? You deserve to live without the fear of being beaten to death, you don't have to put up with this," she takes a deep breath, glancing at the bruises that she has covered up. 

"Let me help you, let me help you and Abigail" I plead, waiting impatiently for her response. 

"I don't need your help, okay! Get that through your head" She shuts me down, "you don't get to tell me how to protect my daughter, you don't know anything about Harry and I, he would never hurt her" she states. 

"Just stay away from us because you are the only threat to our safety right now" she gets out of my car, slamming the door behind her. 

She rushes off, not looking back once. 

I want to follow but I don't know if that would make the situation any better. 

Sighing in defeat, I drive to the firehouse for my shift. 

That was not how I saw that conversation going but I can't give up, I need to think of ways to get through to her. 

She can escape this. 

Taking a moment to compose myself, I make my way into the firehouse and towards the locker room, running into the girls also getting ready.

Lost in my mind, thinking of way to help Amber that won't have her pushing me away. But I keep coming up empty.

"So a little birdie might have mentioned that you had a date" Brett mentions, drawing me out of my mind and the last thing on my mind was my date but I don't want to alert any of them that I am clearly occupied somewhere more important.