Going To War

"WE MIGHT STILL BE IN LOVE IF YOU WERE A BETTER MAN, YOU WOULD'VE BEEN THE ONE IF YOU WERE A BETTER MAN"

Driving to the firehouse, Eliza is singing along to the radio as Better Man by Little Big Town plays. She stays in-tune the whole time and delivers the lyrics with the same passion, must be nice to be musically gifted.

"Oh, that is my song!" She cheers once the song comes to an end, "FUCK YOU, OWEN!" She curses her ex-boyfriends name, the person she was indirectly singing too.

I can't blame her, the lyrics perfectly incorporate how heart-wrenching it feels to lose someone purely because they couldn't be a better man.

I have some experience with that too.

We pull up to the firehouse and get out, walking towards the locker room so we can get changed before going to get some breakfast.

"So, Jess told me what happened" Thatcher sits down with us, "are you okay?" He asks, "I mean I managed to get out what I wanted to say but it doesn't make me feel any better" I admit.

"It's going to take some time till you feel better but at least you're not avoiding it anymore" he pats my back.

"I have never seen this side of you, Thatcher" Eliza comments, "it makes you seem more human" she jokes. "Well looks can be deceiving" he replies, "because I'm an animal in more ways than-" he winks.

"Yeah we got it" Eliza interrupts, pretending to gag.

"I can't believe you actually thought you liked him" she teases, "I was very confused" I defend. 

"But you're not Eliza" Thatcher mentions, "I see the way you look at me" he brings up, "with pure disgust? I thought I was hiding it more" they remind me of Kelly and I when we first started to get feelings for one another.

"You're not hiding it at all, doll" he flirts.

"Doll?" Eliza scoffs, "call me that again and I will make you look like a Ken doll" she mimes cutting something with scissors.

"As long as you touch me" Thatcher doesn't falter.

"You disgust me" Eliza rolls her eyes.

"Alright guys, can I have your attention" Andy waltzes in, "I have some big news" he announces and we give him our undivided attention. "So Hermann and I were talking and he was telling me that he was thinking of holding a Karaoke competition at Molly's" he informs us.

"We had this great idea to make it 53 vs 51" he continues, "you know just for fun" he adds.

"How much did you bet?" I question, knowing that Andy and Hermann are the same, always trying to make a buck where they can. Got to appreciate the grind.

"$1000" Andy mumbles.

"$1000!" We all yell, "you bet a grand over a stupid singing competition!" Thatcher exclaims, "easy money" Andy shrugs.

"Yeah but you forget that none of us can sing" Ramirez points out.

"Actually, Eliza can sing" I turn the focus to her, "I cannot" she denies, "I heard you today in the car" she can't dispute that. "Yeah but that was in the car" she argues, "there is no way I can sing in front of a crowd" she adds.