It Wasn't About Hockey

"NO MORE I LOVE YOU'S, IT'S TOO EASY TO SAY. NO MORE I LOVE YOU'S UNTIL I'M OKAY"

 "Alright so here is everything you need" I hand my mother the bag of Abigail's clothes and toys, "and she has already had dinner but for dessert I was thinking-" I start. "Darling, I know how to feed a child" mom interrupts, "I raised you and I'm still raising Henry" she reminds me.

"I know, I'm sorry" I apologise, "it's just this whole adoption thing is making me nervous" I add, "they have all their eyes zoomed in on us, looking for any reason to take her away" I sigh.

"There is no better guardian for her than you and they all know that" she assures me, "now just calm down and enjoy your time with the girls" she pushes me out the door. 

"Don't worry about a thing because I will take care of her" she pecks my cheek as we say our goodbyes. 

Thanking her for looking after Abigail while me and my firehouse ladies have a little girls road trip to Fowlerton, Indiana. 

Taking a taxi to meet them at the grocery store because I am driving down with Stella. 

Walking into the grocery store, I immediately find the girls in the chocolate and sweet's aisle. 

"You guys are so typical" I rush over to them, excited for some girl time, "says the one who is literally obsessed with chocolate" Kidd points out. "I didn't say I wasn't typical" I argue as I grab tons of chocolate and salty snacks for our road trip. 

"Come on guys, we should healthy snacks" Brett interjects, "yeah, I'm glad we are driving down together" I say to Kidd, "you and me both sister" we high-five. "While you guys are having your salad and kale smoothies, we will be having hot Cheetos and milkshakes" Kidd states.

"We should totally stop at a 24 hour McDonald's" I suggest, "good idea" Kidd agrees.

"You guys might not even make it to Indiana because your arteries would be too clogged and you'll go into cardiac arrest" Brett points out, "sounds like a good way to go out though" Foster mumbles before zipping her mouth when Brett glares at her.

We continue scanning the different aisle for different snacks for our outing to Fowlerton, also some alcohol for our much needed girls night.

Before taking our cart outside to fill the trunks.

"Okay, who sneaked in waffles?" Foster raises her hand, "uh-uh, we are having a farm fresh breakfast in Fowlerton" Brett states. "So I'm going to have to chase my breakfast?" I joke while Brett chucks the box of waffles at me.

"My waffles!" Foster picks them up from the ground as though it's a newborn baby. 

"Hey, don't scare her off" Kidd comments, "there's no way I would miss a chance to go to Fowlerton, Indiana" Foster replies sarcastically. "I've heard it has barns and trees-" she lists, "and a movie-theatre?" She looks at Brett who shakes her head.

"You're thinking about the town 40 minutes over" she explains. 

"Fowlerton sure seems like a hoot and I can't wait!" I exclaim, just happy to get out of Chicago for a little bit. "Same here" Foster agrees, "I just want to get the hell out of Chicago right now" she adds, "I don't want to watch couples all over the place on Valentines Day" she scoffs. 

"Preaching to the choir over here" Foster and I fist-bump, both of us having gone through some relationship woes that have left us not looking forward to Valentines Day.

"You and Kyle got any trouble to get into?" Kidd asks Brett who has just started dating the new Chaplain, Kyle, and we are so happy for her because this seems like the most drama-free relationship she has had in a while.