18

How does this work anyway?

I stare at the box dye, as the model stares at me back, her red hair devouring the edge of the box.

It's a good look. Now how do I get that on me?

I grab the box and read the directions on the side of it. My eyes scan the words, getting a loose idea of what I have to do.

It seems easy enough. I can do this.

Let's go. First, I have to bleach my hair blonde.

I get up and head to the bathroom. My door creaks open as I peek out, checking if my parents are around.

They were acting really weird earlier, so I'll avoid them this time. Hopefully they get over themselves. They have nothing to do with me and that won't change now.

I almost laugh.

I tip-toe out of my room, leaving the door open. The TV downstairs echoes throughout the whole house as I move closer and closer to the bathroom.

Why aren't they in their room? They would usually hole up in there until God knows when. What is going on with them?

Whatever, just don't care Aliza. Soon enough, you'll leave with Isaac.

A thrill runs through my chest as I feel heat rush to my cheeks at the thought of him. The feeling of his lips on mine throbs as I pinch them.

He's so fucking...fun.

I shake my head and hurry over to the bathroom, closing and locking the door behind me. I rip open the box dye, seeing a packet and a bottle fall out. I tilt my head at the contents of the bottle, setting my phone up to a tutorial video of how to dye your hair.

This should go...great. Ready to ruin my hair.

***

"I think I did a good job..?" I breathe out, staring at my nearly dry blood-red hair.

Who knew Youtube was so useful? Phones are amazing.

My waist length hair trails down, almost like a fountain of blood. I love it.

I giggle to myself.

Hours and hours and a lot of tinfoil later, it somehow came out right.

It looks almost black, being wet like this, so when it dries, it should be the darker red I was going for.

I wrap my hair up in my towel, humming as my dye stained shirt sticks to my skin. It was worth losing a shirt, I might even still wear it. The bloody look is kind of cool.

I waltz out of the bathroom, my fingers still soft and raisin-like. I flinch back as my mother stands in front of my room.

So this "caring about me" thing is still going on? Really? This is really boring.

I take slow steps to her as her head snaps towards me. She swallows as I blink at her, stopping next to her.

"What do you want?" I ask, trying to make my way around her to my room.

"I- Well, your father and I just wanted to t-talk. Can you come to the living room?" Her body shakes.

That's good to see, but if she's still so afraid, why is she here?

"Okay...?" I say, moving pass her and closing the door behind me.

Talk? Now?

They better not ruin everything. Me and Isaac are going to leave soon, I don't want a reason to stay here. I won't have anyone holding me back.

I put my phone down on the bed and open the door again. My mother flinches back as she still stands there.

"L-Let's go then." She stutters, stumbling away from me. She heads down the stairs and I trudge behind her.

We sit in the living room as my father waits. My mother slides next to him and I take a seat across from them. We sit in an awkward silent as I stare blankly at them and they tremble under my gaze.

"We'll you guys aren't going to say anything, I'm busy." I start to get up.

What even is this?

"No! No, Aliza. please sit down. What we want to say is-" My mother stops me. I plop back down and nod.

"Is what?" I ask.

"When you were born, you were the most precious little bundle of life." My father says, looking into his hands.

"When I first held you, I wondered how life could exist so small and fragile. I couldn't stop crying." He says, tears welling up in his eyes.

I blink.

What's the point of this again?

Cause if this is how they think they'll get to me, I might just laugh at their efforts.

"We were in love you the moment we saw you." My mother says, grabbing my father's hand and squeezing it tight.

Aw. How cute.

"Somewhere along the line, we lost sight of what was important, and yesterday night when we heard you were at the hospital, something clicked. We realized we don't want to lose you." My mother cries as well. I suppress a yawn.

Damn, this is boring.

"We rushed over but the nurse said you had been picked up already, and then we realized again, that we know nothing about you." My father picks up for her.

I nod.

"We want to change that. Starting right now, we can truly be a family. Your father and I are so sorry for all these years of neglect. There's no excuse." She whines out.

I thought I was the delusional one here but I guess I had to get it from somewhere.

"A family? Why do we have to be that?" I ask, tilting my head at them.

"Aliza, Honey, I know we've hurt you in the past but we are willing to repent. Please let us." The big man child speaks up this time.

I giggle, unable to hold it back any longer.

"You guys look so dumb. Maybe I like this better than the avoiding me thing." I smile at them, as they look at me utterly confused.

"Dumb? We're really reaching out here, Aliza and we understand that it will take time for you to forgive us but can you try with us? At least?" My mother pleads.

"No. Don't make me laugh. Did someone report you guys to CPS?" I say, laughing throughout my statement.

"Aliza..." My father face falls.

"Just leave me alone, ok?" I get up, heading upstairs.

"But-"

"Really, I don't blame you guys. I just don't care at all." I send them a big smile, waving as I head up.

They're trying to ruin everything. A family? I have one, Isaac.

And we're going to run far away from this place.

I bite my lip.

Far, far away.
____________________________________
54k - 7/20/20

I'm finally uploading a chapter for this. IDK what to expect but I hope you guys like it.

Next update probably friday. Thanks for reading.

Ciao.