☆T H I R T Y-T H R E E ☆

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE; ONE DOWN

BETH HAD EVENTUALLY stormed into the streets of London but considering she didn't know where she was going, she stopped and waited for Tommy who was only a few steps behind her. With a scolding look on his face Beth knew she had fucked up so when Tommy reached her she began to ramble. "I'm sorry Tommy, I just- he just-." Tommy cut Beth short by placing his lips to hers, smiling into the kiss. Beth pulled away in confusion looking at her happy fiancé.

"Did I not just ruin your meeting?" Beth asked nervously. Tommy shook his head, chuckling softly and pulling his peaky hat out of his pocket. "Not at all love. Alfie likes a good fight." Beth grinned reaching up to fix Tommy's peaked cap on his head. "Are we going home now?" Beth asked, letting Tommy take her hand and begin to pull her down the streets of London. Tommy shook his head. "No sweetheart. One more stop, and we'll be home."

After letting Tommy pull her into the open streets of London Beth looked up at Tommy confused. "Who are we going to meet in the middle of the streets of London?" She asked, reaching into Tommy's pocket and pulling out a cigarette. "That's the thing." Tommy muttered, lighting his own cigarette before doing the same for Beth. "She doesn't know we're meeting her. In fact, she doesn't know we've even left Birmingham, although if she did know then I'm pretty sure she would have hidden away again."

"Ada?" Beth asked, smiling widely in excitement. Tommy nodded pointing across the bus and loud streets. "There she is." Beth watched Ada cross the road and Tommy pushed himself off the lamppost he was leaned against and began to pull Beth towards Ada who still hadn't seen them. "Ada!" Tommy called, Ada's head snapping towards them. Ada sighed realising it was her brother and Beth, and walked towards them. "How the fuck did you find me?" Ada asked.

She leaned over pulling Beth into a hug and when she pulled away Beth purposely swiped her hand over her face, Ada gasping. "Is that a-." Beth squealed excitedly nodding her head and Tommy grinned watching her in amusement. "Yes. He finally asked." Beth laughed, holding her hand out to Ada to inspect. Ada smiled at the couple nodding, even if she was mad at Tommy she still managed to put a smile on her face for Beth. "I'm happy for you both. It's about time. When's the wedding?"

Beth shrugged her shoulders looking down at her ring. "When business it finessed with Sabani I suppose." Turning back to her brother, Ada sighed her smile dropping instantly. "What, are you reading Polly's letters?" She asked. "Polly showed me the letter. Ada, you think you're safe because you moved flats, but you're not. Polly thinks the same." Tommy replied. "When will you understand? I just want you all out of my life." Ada hissed, her eyes showing how hurt she was but her face remaining cold, like her brothers.

"Ada. Look at me. Just look at me." Beth begged, Ada reluctantly looking towards her. "Me and you, we've been attacked already. Tommy was nearly beaten to death before me and it'll happen again. We aren't safe. Shelby or not." Beth tried. "Yeah, well next time I'll be ready." Ada grumbled reaching into her bag. "I'm fact I want them to try again." She held out a gun and Beth took a step back behind Tommy not trusting Ada not to accidentally pull a trigger. "Because I'll shoot their balls off. Get off me."

"Ada put the gun away." Tommy hissed. "Get away from me. I'm late for work." Ada snapped. "Alright fine." Tommy sighed, holding his hands up. "Fine, just take this. Take this. Where you're living now is right on the edge of Sabani's territory. All the coppers there work for him." Tommy explain, handing an envelope with a key inside it to his sister. "I've got. Lot of money coming in that I can't put through the banks. My accountant says the best thing is to buy property for cash and put it in the name of a family member."

"A house? A whole house?" Ada asked in confusion. "It's all yours. Four stories, eight bedrooms, kitchen, scullery, and room for a maid if your political conscience will allow. At least go and half a look at it, eh?" Tommy pried. Ada said nothing, and just turned to walk away, leaving Beth to look up at Tommy. "One Shelby down." Beth announced. Tommy raised his eyebrows in confusion. "I've told one Shelby about our engagement so far. Four more to go." Beth clarified, Tommy laughing.

"If Ada gets four stories I can't wait to see how big ours will be." She teased, pulling Tommy closer to her by his jacket. Tommy chuckled shaking his head. "I would buy you a house with twelve stories if i thought it would make you happy." Beth smiled at his words and leaned up to kiss Tommy's cheek softly. "We could live in a cardboard box Tommy, and I'd be the happiest person in the world because you make me happy and I don't need a big house to tell me that." Tommy grinned taking Beth's hand and beginning to pull her away from the busy towns of London.

The boat ride home wasn't as terrible of an experience than the boat ride over and Beth found herself finally giving in to eating and sleeping in the comforts of the boat and Tommy's arms. It was on the second night that Tommy had stayed awake later than Beth and had stayed out talking to Curly but when he heard a blood curdling scream he got up from his seat as quick as lighting and rushed through the cabin doors to see Beth's knees tucked into her chest, her body shaking with sobs.

Night terrors. Beth dreamt about everything on the boat. Losing Tommy, losing her brother Calvin, losing John, Arthur, Polly, Finn, Ada, her mother and father, losing everything. Tommy had made a deal with himself that night to not let anything happen to her so on the third night when Beth began to beg for mercy in her sleep, Tommy lay down beside her and tucked her into his arms, and like a baby who had just been fed, Beth fell into a sleep, Tommy soon realising that he wanted to be there every night to hold her.

During the day they'd talk about the nicer things in life to distract themselves, like the wedding or their home that they'd buy one day and Beth realised, as she stared at Tommy with such adoration, as he watched the water from out the window and told her all about the nicer things about their future that Beth wouldn't want to be with anyone else in the world besides Thomas Shelby.