Chapter 10

"Why exactly are we doing this?"

Casey was falling a bit behind with her. Like he's literally behind her. Snow and he were headed straight forward on the road, and he was having a really hard time trying to hold his balance.

The path was wider than a sidewalk but not too wide as they had to share the diminished space between them. A scenic of cars zoomed by from afar, bordering by the black chain link fences, and the scattered trees pursued in a line. He didn't think about riding a bike on the trail as one of the to-do things on their list.

The last time he rode a bike was when he was thirteen; this wasn't even his bike. Before they drove out two hours and thirty minutes far from home on a Saturday, they stopped by Malloy's place. It was his older brother's bike that he didn't use anymore, so Malloy lent it to Casey. It felt almost new again to hop on the saddle and hurl the pedals forward; he had a history to tumble over, and meeting with the concrete.

"Because why not? Remember that today is about trying each other's hobby? Well, I like riding bikes," Snow said.

"Yeah, but why this far?" Casey questioned.

"I thought this could be an exercise, and you told me that you don't remember what it's like to ride a bike, and I didn't exactly want you to collide with streets or objects."

Would falling on a bed of grass make any less difference?

"Plus, I brought Neosporin and Bandages in case you do," Snow said, and glanced behind with a smile.

Being a klutz in front of a girl wouldn't be something he would want to happen, but from the grip of the handlebars, he was feeling his sweats building up.

I better not fall.

"Think of it this way. It's not an exercise only for the cardiovascular system, but for your mental state in mind. How much do you think about things, and how much are you willing to let go?" she stated and looked up at the clear sky.

"Let go?"

"Let go of all your thoughts and worries, and just go accordingly. I'm probably not the best person to say this, but at least temporarily. Can you stay balance and hold your head high?"

What did having to ride a bike deal with a balance other than having to prevent falling down? Was she trying to use some life advice on him that was something generic like balance your time with schoolwork and having fun? The only thing he could concentrate on was not looking anywhere but forward.

"Are you trying to—whoa..." He felt the bike leaning on one side and had to stop with one leg, and then he started pushing the pedals again.

Snow sped up her bike with swiftness, and she was a bit farther from him. "Come on. Ride a little faster!" she exclaimed.

From watching her, he wasn't sure about going any faster than what he was already working with. "Could you slow down?" Casey called out.

"Why? It's much more fun this way. Just try it." Snow was at ease, and a cheeky smile played on her lips. Her hair was tied in a ponytail and flew along with the breeze.