Chapter 2

"Dada! Why mummy won't come to take me, Baba also never comes, everyone has their parents it's just me who is alone." My five-year-old self questioned my grandfather.

"It's because you are special Mehmel and your parents want me to hide you from every danger." I pouted and relaxed in his lap and soon sleep consumed me.

Remembering that day made my eyes sting with tears as it was the last day of his existence, the last day I slept peacefully in his lap.

If I knew it was his last day I would've hugged him so tight and would tell him how much I loved him, and that he was the only one who cared for me, the only one who stood up for me.

Taking a deep breath I went towards the Haveli.

It was afternoon when I went home from university, many new cars were parked and new faces could be seen in the Haveli.

I silently went towards my room.
My cousins were eying me up and down and then shrugging like they didn't care.

"Agai tum, ab kamray ma band mat rehna Jao aur mehmano ka liya chai bnao kam waliyon ko aur bhi kaam hain." Laila Tayi spoke in her high-pitched voice.

(You came finally, now don't lock yourself in the room, go and make tea for the guests, maids have other works to do.)

I nodded and after freshening up I went to prepare the tea.

Everyone was sitting in the living room. So, holding the try I also went there.

Dadi was sitting on the sofa, I quickly handed her the tea first.

"Mehmel?" I looked up and saw a middle-aged woman, I couldn't pinpoint where I saw her, So, I nervously nodded at her.

"Apni phopho ko nai pehchana?" My eyes became wide as I stare at her.

(Didn't you recongnized your Aunt.)

Zahra khan the only daughter of Bakhtar Khan came to Pakistan after a long time.
The only time I've seen her was when Dada died, after that she again went back to Turkey and never came back.
Dadi occasionally talks with her on the phone, but I never got the opportunity to know her or her kids.

"Sorry phopho, I didn't recognize you," I said with guilt lacing in my voice.

She shook her head and smiled at me politely "idhar ao meri bachi mera pass akar betho." I quickly sat next to her and from the corner of my eye, I could see my all cousins glaring at me.

(Come here my child, come sit with me.)

"Yeh Zemal ha meri choti beti." she pointed towards a young girl who looks like my age, maybe a year older than me.
Zehmal was a carbon copy of her mother with doe-like light brown eyes and beautiful black hair. She also smiled at me softly.

(This is Zemal my younger daughter.)

"Aur Yazan bhi aya ha mera bara beta mera khayal ha bahir gaya ha phone agaya ha shayd." I nodded softly.

(And my elder son Yazan also came, I think he went outside to receive a call.)

The evening went with the girls singing songs and rehearsing the dance steps as the boys were not allowed so I couldn't saw the face of my other cousin Yazan Ibrahim Khan.

Stay safe❤