Chapter 9

Seeing her on the TV, a hopeless smile etched on my face. It was the only way I could see her. She was showcasing her designs without a care in the world.

My mother never looked back for me.
Nobody directly told me why my parents did what they did, but I was not dumb of not knowing the reason however, on my eighteen birthday, Dadi told me everything.

She told me how I was an unplanned child, and my mother never wanted kids nonetheless, she gave birth to me, she handed me to Dada as my Baba was madly in love with my mother he agreed whatever she said.
Dada especially went to England for me and came back with a ten-day little girl in his arms.

Sometimes, I wish, she should've given me to an orphanage that way it would've not hurt like this.

"Mehmal," Yazan's voice broke my trance of thoughts.

"Knock kia tha tumnay suna nahi." I turned around and felt ashamed of not realizing his presence.

(I have knocked but you didn't listen.)

Suddenly, his gaze fell on the TV and he averted his eyes from me.

I turned off the TV as he came to sit with me, "Barey mamu sa baat karli ha manay aglay haftay valima ki date final ki ha."

(I have to elder uncle, the reception will be held next week.)

"Mehmel, theek ha?" He asked me and held my soft hands in his rough ones.

(Mehmel is it okay?)

"Baba ayegay?" I asked softly, I already knew the answer, still I wanted to confirm it.

(Will dad come?)

"Baat ki thi manay, busy hain nahi asakty." With a hard face he told me this.

(I have talked to him, he's busy so can't come.)

"Tum ab bhi unki fikar karti ho,
kiu unki rah dekhti jo chor ka gya thay tumko, jab unko koi fikr nai ha to hud ko kiu aziyat deti ho na hi tumhara koi kasoor ha na koi tumhari galati."

(You still worry about them, still waiting for them, who abandoned you, when they don't care why you suffer yourself, its not your fault nor your mistake.)

Tears escaped my eyes as I stared at his clenched jaw, a vein was poping on his temple which was a clear indication that he was angry.

"I shifted my firm in Islamabad, and bought a house there, mummy refused to stay anywhere as she wants to stay here, Zemal will also stay with her, in weekends we will visit and I will also convince her to live with us for sometimes." In some sentence he told me our future. I was leaving this Haveli.

Being a successful lawyer and having a famous law firm it was easy for him to settle anywhere.

My life was changing with rapidly, and I was somehow liking it.

At that point, I decided I will leave this misery here in this Haveli and will start a new life with him.

But again no mattee how much I try, they never leave my mind.

For attending a call he went outside and didn't come back.

As I was going towards my wardrobe, my phone rang and Baba's name flashed on it, he never called me and I had no idea why was he calling me.

I picked it up and said my salam but there was no replay, for about a minute I held the phone within my ear but sensing no response, I declined the call and shook my head in disappointment.

On the other side Waji khan listened to his daughter's sweet voice, he came all hard in front of her but he was the weakest man on the earth who was a coward for not standing up for his daughter in front of his wife.

whenever he would go see her daughter it would take all of his energy to not embrace her in a hug, so from the start he minimalizes his visit.

He wanted her to hate him to loath him but the emotion of disappointment seeing in her eyes made him want to die a hundred deaths.