Chapter 7

Amid the crying, phopho received a call from Baseer Taya, he was saying that Dadi wants to see her and me. I was astounded by this because out of all the family members why would she wanted to see me.

Millions of questions started to roam in my head, the whole journey to the hospital I was anxious and the worst prediction my mind made was that maybe, Dadi also decided to abandon me maybe, she decided that I'm of no use and wanted to tell everyone that after her no one is allowed to give me shelter in the Haveli. This thought scared me to the core as my heart is not that tough to bear another abandonment.

When we reached the hospital both Taya abu's along with baseer Taya's son Darman and Zakeer Taya's both sons Wali and Shazeb were present with Yazan and the rest of the men were home settling other matters.

"Lala, kia hua ha? Sab theek to ha?" Phopho asked Basser Taya in a low voice.

(Brother! What happened? Is everything alright?)

"Ammi na tum dono ko bolaiya ha ao andar." He gestured us to go inside the hospital room.

(Ammi called you both, come inside)

My heart was thumping loudly, my palms were sweaty and my throat was dry as a Sahara desert.

In the center of the room, there was a hospital bed where a small figure was resting with different tubes attached to her body.

Phopho hurriedly went towards her while I stood like a statue. Dadi was looking very vulnerable and tried and in my all twenty-three years of existence, it was the first time I was seeing her like this.

Takdees khan was an honorable woman with strong personality; never in her life she bowed down to anyone except Allah, now was looking helpless resting on the hospital bed.

"Ammi, ye kia keh rai hain app?" Lost in my thoughts, I skipped their conversation but when I looked up both of the women were staring at me.

(What are you saying mother!)

"Maina ye faisala kar lia ha Zahra Mehmel ka Nikkah Wali sa hoga." Dadi spoke weakly but firmly and it made me gasp inaudibly. She wanted me to marry Wali that's why she called me.

(I have made this decision Zahra, Mehaml will be wed to Wali.)

I always had a dream that one day Mummy would come to my wedding and I would never let her go then. But if they decided my marriage now, then the last hope of seeing my mother would be shattered.

Realization hit me again, she wanted me to marry Wali, whom I was never fond of, Wali Zakeer khan is a carbon copy of his mother.
He was not an ideal man, a man I want to marry.

I fisted my hands and prayed to god that Dadi changes her mind.
Both of my Tayas were standing there quietly listening to mother and daughter.

"Ammi, aisa nai hosakta, Mehmel ki Shaddi Wali say nahi hoskati." I feel at ease after listening to phopho's words but the next made me shook to the core.

(Mother it can't happen, Mehmel cannot marry Wali.)

"Kiun ke Abbu na muj sa wada kiya tha Ke Mehmel ki Shaddi Yazan sa hogi." silent sobs of phopho was the only audible thing, everyone else became stunned after her confession.

(Because dad took a pledge from me that Mehmel would wed to Yazan.)

I was feeling dizzy after this. Tears brimmed in my eyes, perhaps, if Baba and Mummy wouldn't leave me, everything which is happening now, never would happen.

There was no response from Dadi her silence was enough to seal my fate.

"Ma marnay sa phelay Mehmel ki Shaddi karna chahti hon iskay Dada na iski zeemadari mujko di thi magr ma kamyaab na ho payi iss zeemadari ko nibhanay ma, unho na kabi zikr nai kia ka wo Yazan ko Mehmel ka shohar bnana chatay hain agr aisa ha to Basser Nikkah ki tayri shuru karo Nikkah aj hi hoga." Nothing was there to speak and I welcomed my destiny with sealed lips.

(I want to marry Mehmel before I die her grandfather gave me her responsibility but I failed in achieving this responsibility, he never mentioned that he wanted to make Yazan Mehmel's husband, if thats the case then Baseer go and prepare, the wedding would be done today.)

How's it! Tell me your thoughts❤