The invitation

HERMIONE POV

Luckily Narcissa, Lucius and my parents hadn't arrived yet, so Scorp, Cassie and Ava had time to freshen up from the long train ride home before dinner would begin. Draco and I were quickly finishing setting the table when the doorbell rang. Being the gentleman he is, Draco made his way to the door and let my parents in. "Hello Mr and Mrs Granger, so lovely to see you!" I heard Draco tell them before embracing them and taking their coats. "Darling, it's been twenty years, how many times do we have to tell you, please call us with the names we were given, not those formalities!" my mum replied. "All right, all right, I'll try my best, Jean. Can't make any promises though" Draco chuckled, leading to an approving nod of both my parents. I made my way to the hallway, it seems to have become a tradition from my parents to greet us all and do some catching up in there before we enter the living room. I quickly hugged my parents. "Grandma! Grandpa!" Ava shouted, rushing to get downstairs. She practically threw herself in my dad's arms because of the speed with which she stumbled off of the last few steps "I missed you so much!". Cassie and Scorp also made their way downstairs, luckily in a less stumbling way than Ava had done because he definitely would not have been able to stand upright when two 18-year-olds came crashing down on him.

"Oh it's been so long! Darlings you all look so good, look at how much you've grown!" my mum said while hugging her three grandchildren. "Who's grown? I sure hope it's not Ava, she'd better still be our little girl!" we heard Lucius joking in the living room when they made their way to us. "Gran! Gramps!" the three siblings shouted to their other grandparents. My mother, still not used to the fact that we could floo, looked confused as to where they suddenly came from before Draco whispered to her with a wink "the fireplace". She nodded, remembering the possibilities of magic. We all hugged Lucius and Narcissa, I quickly took their coats and we made our way into the living room, more than ready for this family dinner to begin.

About two years after the war, after Lucius was released from Azkaban and he got his priorities straight (somehow he only had to sit for 6 months), I got introduced to the Malfoy family. Just like any other year at Hogwarts, our seventh, or actually eight, year at Hogwarts was as much of a whirlwind as the previous six. Luckily, it was one without the annual death threats and the constant looking over our shoulders. This last year at Hogwarts was actually filled with love and friendship instead of hate. And as shocking as it was, Draco and I quickly became the centre of that, and of a shitload of gossip. Who would've imagined that the 'Gryffindor Princess' and the 'Slytherin Prince' could ever be anything but sworn enemies, let alone fall in love? I guess the best things in life really are the most unexpected ones, huh?

Narcissa, like Draco, never really believed in all that blood-supremacy nonsense, but went along with it because she thought that was what a good wife was supposed to do. To support her husband. But much like her son, she began to own up to her own beliefs during the war, refusing to let those deranged pure-blood idiots win. Lucius on the other hand, didn't fully change his beliefs until after a year or two. In all honesty, his short time in prison did him quite good. He was able to think for himself again, instead of following that noseless git all around. Seeing that if he didn't change, he would lose his wife and son, was just the motivation he needed to be more openminded towards muggleborns. It took him some time to fully get there, but eventually he succeeded with flying colours. Lucius and Narcissa now even frequently visit muggle London.

The first time Lucius and Narcissa met my parents, we expected it'd only last for an hour or so, but they were so interested in each other's lives, they went on for hours. The four of them became fast friends and sometimes even met up without us. Draco and I were absolutely dumbfounded when they told us they often went for drinks or lunches together, but we also couldn't have been happier. Over the years their bond only got stronger and they had also met our 'chosen family', as some (Harry) liked to put it. They treated all the children as if they were their actual grandchildren, which only made our already extensive family grow ginormous.