01

Paxton remembered when the portal closed a few weeks before, leaving him alone with the vampire. He didn't ever expect his soulmate to be a vampire; hell, he never expected to find his soulmate! He was never looking.

When Alastor let them leave the depths of Hell, they were asked if they wanted a soulmate on Earth, and everyone else said yes, but Paxton scoffed at the idea. However, Alastor, the Lord of Hell, had other ideas and gave him one anyway, not caring that Paxton didn't care to share his life with anyone.

He was the sin of Pride and rarely cared for anyone other than himself. When he was in Hell, before he saw the other sins as family, he didn't care for them at all and didn't care what happened to them as long as he was doing well personally.

When they got to Earth, Paxton learned to care for the other sins, but he was a self made entrepreneur and didn't work with anyone unless it was beneficial to him.

Now, he not only had a soulmate, but he had one that could feel the pull as well.

Human soulmates couldn't feel the pull as much as supernaturals could, and Paxton's soulmate happened to be a supernatural.

And not just any supernatural.

A Master Vampire.

One of the only supernaturals that could challenge the power of a high ranked demon.

"Are you okay, mi tesoro?" Renato asked, watching Paxton stare out the window from a distance. "You seem to be uncomfortable."

Paxton took a deep breath. "I'm fine," he said, turning to face the vampire. "Just a little tired."

Renato hummed. "I can make you heated milk!" he exclaimed, rushing into the kitchen using his given super speed from being a vampire.

A strange half smile crossed Paxton's face. He expected the vampire to be seductive and dark. Not at all did he entertain the idea that a vampire could act like an excited puppy who wanted to please its master.

He found the kitchen, which surprised him because the mansion where Renato resided was enormous and he didn't have the vampire to guide him around the house. The vampire seemed to have a habit of getting excited and running off without thinking about the fact that no one knew how to navigate the giant mansion except him.

"The milk is heating," Renato said, mixing something else in a bowl. "I shall make you some cookies as well to go with the milk, and then we sleep."

"Thanks," Paxton said, sitting at the bar. "I'll sleep in the guest room again."

Renato's face fell a little, but he got over it and grinned. "Yes, you demons are quite independent."

"So are vampires."

"Yes, most of us enjoy our independence, but I do not wish to be alone anymore. As long as I have the other part of my soul I will never wish to be alone again."

Paxton's heart raced a little and he scolded himself, willing his heart to calm down. He didn't want to fall for this idiot; his plan was to get to know him and let Renato discover that he wouldn't be good for a soulmate. All his existence, Paxton knew he was successful and the best of the sins, but he also knew that his only fear was that he'd never be good enough for a soulmate. He was too self centered and couldn't provide or care for anyone else.

Not in the way a soulmate deserved.

"You look worried, caro," Renato said, mixing eggs into his cookie batter before he began to divide them onto a sheet pan. "Cookies and milk are familiar to you, yes?"

Paxton nodded. "Yeah, they are. I'm surprised you'd know that."

Renato blushed. "I put to use the computer last night to investigate common American treats so you would feel more comfort and relaxation here," he said, sliding the tray into the oven. "I hope they will satisfy you."