09

The orphanage was nothing but sad.

Since young supernaturals would be in danger staying at orphanages with humans, as many couldn't control their shifts when they were young, they were sent to homes for supernaturals that were always run down and lacking in both money and food.

Renato and Paxton held hands as they walked in, where a lady sat at the desk.

"You two aren't with the mailing service, are ya?" she asked in a bitter, almost accusing, tone.

"No madame," Renato said in his thick, Italian accent. "We are here to adopt."

Her eyes widened. "Are you now?" she asked, seeming shocked. "You really want to take one of these brats into your care?"

Paxton didn't like her, but he remained quiet so Renato could speak.

The vampire always held more composure.

"Yes, we do. May we meet the children?" Renato asked, forcing a smile.

She shrugged. "We only got two in here. The other ones took off already, but the two in here are too young to take off without getting killed so they got left behind," she said, guiding them to a room in the back. "They're werewolves, I think they were abandoned by their pack. Found the two on my doorstep a few months ago."

Paxton was surprised, as wolves were strong pack animals and almost never left their pups behind unless there was a death or good reason to do so.

"We have to take both," Paxton whispered to Renato. "We can't just leave one behind."

Renato hummed in agreement as they were brought to a large room with a battered mattress on the ground.

There were two wolf pups in their animal form on the ground, one asleep and the other one growling when they walked into the room. The growling one had a dark brown pelt with black markings, while the asleep one had toffee colored fur and white markings.

"Stop that," the lady snapped, grabbing a broom from the wall and making the growling wolf pup whine and scramble back.

Paxton glared at her. "Do you hit them?!" he demanded, his eyes flashing purple as he snatched the broom from her and broke it in half. "Tell me!"

"They're wolves! They bite!" she said, her voice high pitched and anxious. "Don't hurt me!"

"Get them," Paxton ordered Renato, watching his lover slowly approach the two pups, one which was just barely bigger than a grown coyote, while the other was a bit smaller.

Paxton estimated them to be around five to eight years old, since they were clearly defensive and willing to fight, but they hadn't left the run down orphanage yet. Plus, their wolf forms were way to small to be full grown.

Renato was calm and knelt down beside the pups, holding his hand out. "Don't worry, we are here to take you to a safer place, little ones."

The asleep pup started to stir awake and it yelped as soon as it did so and dove behind the other wolf, who had stopped growling and was instead sitting with its head tilted in confusion.

"Come with us and we will take you away from this crazy woman. We will never harm you, little ones," Renato said in his soothing voice, making the pup that had been growling step a bit closer. "Come along, we will get you some food."

That got the attention of the toffee wolf and it trotted forward, sitting in front of Renato and wagging its tail, making the other wolf snarl.

"You are lucky I let you live," Paxton growled at the lady. "But if they speak of abuse that is worse than I have anticipated, I will be returning and you will be speaking with someone far worse than me."