08

Darius walked into the house where the sins resided from Alastor's portal, and he immediately glared at Renato when he saw the vampire. He was still bitter about Renato having worked with Roman, even if he wasn't aware of it.

"Alvis, Venus, you two stay right by me," Darius ordered, glaring at Renato. "I don't trust all of the individuals in this household."

Paxton rolled his eyes. "He didn't do anything to Alvis or Venus."

"He was involved."

"Because Roman is manipulative," Winston stated, standing beside his fellow sin. "Stop with the attitude, Darius."

Darius glared at them. "Just because you are some of Alastor's favorite demons does not mean you get to walk over me," he growled.

Paxton's eyes flashed purple and his skin began to shift, horns growing from his head and wings from his back as he turned to his demon form. He slammed Darius against the wall, making both Alvis and Venus rush to hide behind Kayden since he was familiar to them.

"You forget your place," Paxton hissed as he continued to grow taller, his full demon form coming out and fangs growing. "You may be a high ranking demon, but you are nothing to me. You will always be below myself and the other sins, not matter how well Master Alastor praises you."

Darius' eyes were blown wide, and even though he was immortal, it was still uncomfortable to be cut short of air and shoved against a wall. That, and he knew that if Paxton got angry enough, he'd injure Darius and had the ability to cause long term damage.

"Pride..." Darius squeaked. "Please, show me mercy."

"Why should I?" Paxton, under the full influence of his demon, asked. "You speak as though you are worth something, you pathetic,!lost soul."

Darius coughed as Paxton's grip tightened, his claws piercing the other demon's skin.

"Paxton, my love," Renato cooed, placing his hand on Paxton's shoulder through his ripped shirt.

Paxton whipped around and glared at the vampire, ready to attack, when the sense of familiarity overcame him and he was able to relax.

"Release him," Renato said in a soothing voice, and Paxton obeyed, slowly shifting back into his human form. "Thank you, mi tesoro."

Darius was clutching the red mark on his neck, nervously eyeing Paxton. "I apologize," he mumbled, his voice weak from the treatment he'd received.

Alvis and Venus shyly dashed over to their Master, both checking him but being shut down when Darius shook his head and pushed their shaky hands away.

"I didn't mean to react that way," Paxton said, shaking his head. "My demon side got unnecessarily frustrated."

"It makes sense," Renato soothed, petting his soulmate's back. "You are the sin of Pride, and another demon who you see as lower than you was challenging you and got angry with your soulmate."

Paxton hummed and turned to see all of the sins watching him and both Levi and Tristan hiding behind them, as they instinctively were nervous due to their new demonic soul telling them to cower before the authority of a sin.

"I'm sorry for scaring you all," Paxton said, looking at his torn shirt from his shift. "Darius, we asked you here-"

"To identify if someone here is a shifter," Darius finished, crossing his arms. "Where are they?"

Winter peered out from around the corner and Darius' eyes widened in awe.

Renato raised an eyebrow, looking between Winter and Darius, sensing a strange tension between them.