36| Fingers Meet Air

TW: this chapter covers heavy talk of abuse, so please keep that in mind

~Draco

For the first time that week I was able to close my eyes and fall asleep.

I had Harry tucked under my arm and his hair tickled the tip of my nose.

When I had woken up I basked in the peace around me. Albeit, in a cell surrounded by bars and a guard that ate chocolate frogs like there was no tomorrow.

"Good, you're awake," a voice said, making me jump.

I felt a hand clamp over my mouth.
It was cold.

"Don't be afraid, it's only me, your father," he said.

I sat frozen in fear.

I wanted to run, I wanted to hit him, I wanted to get him away from Harry but he was bent over the bunk we were on, staring directly into my eyes.

I tilted my head a little to see the guard passed out on the floor.

"I thought you were in the hospital," I managed to say.

"Sorry to disappoint,"

"I don't want to see your face anymore," I growled.

"You've never had any common sense, Draco, you've always had to depend on people to do things for you," he said.

"That doesn't have anything to do-,"

"-Crabbe and Goyle as body guards, Severus -The Traitor-Snape to keep you going right, and Harry Potter to protect you from me... but look how well of a job he's doing now," A glint of white indicated he was jeering at me.

"Leave Harry out of this," I said quietly.

"Oh but why? It's so fun to watch you scramble to defend a boy who will never love you,"

"He does love me," my voice faltered.

Lucius laughed. "Have you ever asked him why?"

I stiffened in anger. I almost sunk back in defeat and allowed him to slink away to wherever rock he escaped from under but I was so tired of it.

"Why do you treat me like this? I have never done anything to you," I met his eyes.

"You've never done anything for me either," he said.

"I'm your son! I don't need to do anything for you to approve of me!"

"See Draco? You always seek validation... like a little boy. That's all you'll ever be. A little boy."

I reached out, maybe to grasp his throat in my hands, maybe to shake him and beg him to be a real dad, for once.

But my fingers met nothing but air.

"Drakie? Whazzat?" Harry mumbled in his sleepy state.

"I told you that you couldn't call me that," I retorted halfheartedly.

Harry sat up and squinted at me.
"What were you reaching for?"

I paused to look at the space where I had seen Lucius.

Had it all been in my head?

It felt so real but... perhaps it was just that.

"I guess I was having a dream," I concluded.

"You guess?" Harry pressed.

"It was," I nodded.

Harry fidgeted with the blanket that covered him and tossed it over the both of us