21st Chapter

Next morning I woke up pretty tired. I was afraid if Bayezid is going to find out I am carrying his child.

I really wanted to be with Bayezid so we could be with that child while its growing, but I didn't want to share him with any other woman.

He was so happy about Defne's pregnancy, that for sure that means more to him than me. That was the reason why I didn't want him even to know.

Beyaz Kalfa left the house early in the morning. I didn't trust her. I knew she would say it to Bayezid, because she was afraid to keep it as a secret. Beyaz was a person who was interested in everything. She knew all the harem gossip, though she was not so frequent in the Palace. I was not allowed to talk about everything in front of her, because I knew it would reach Bayezid. But I could not hide this from her in any way.

All my life I knew what to do in a situation, but this time I really didn't know what to do. On the one hand, I had the opportunity to return to live in Istanbul, far from Bayezid. It seemed like a good idea to me, but I didn't want to hide my child who his father was all my life. I didn't want my child to be an orphan.

My other option was to get over my pride and go back to the Palace. Forgive Bayezid everything, but that meant watching his happiness with Defne, which was my biggest problem.

But even if I went to the Palace, my child still could not have a secure future. If Bayezid succeeded his father to the throne of the Ottoman Empire, my child, if male, could one day be the heir to the Ottoman throne and perhaps even the Ottoman Sultan. But if Selim became Sultan, my children would be guaranteed death. And that was my biggest fear.

I thought so much about all the possibilities that life brings me, that I didn't hear anyone knocking on the door. I got up and opened the door, and when I opened it I was shocked. Hurrem Sultana stood in the doorway.

- Sultana, what are you doing here? -  I asked in astonishment. I couldn't believe that it was Hurrem Sultana who came to my door, I was interested in what brought her here.

- Aslihan, aren't you glad to see me? - Hurrem asked me. I wasn't sure if she was sarcastic or not, but I reciprocated with a smile.

- I'm sorry, Sultana, I didn't expect to see you. Come in. - I told her, smiling at her and letting her enter the house. Hurrem walked around the house and took a good look at her. It was only after a few moments that she sat down.

- Do you like it here? - Hurrem asked me. I was surprised that already on my departure from the Palace she was very caring and benevolent towards me, even though we had some kind of quarrel.

- I used to live in a place like this, so I'm fine. - I said and sat down next to her on the couch that was located in the house.

- I came here to talk to you and try and convince you to change your your opinion about the whole situation. - Hurrem told me and looked at me very seriously. I knew Bayezid was in a bad situation as soon as Hurrem had to come to me.

- Excuse me, Sultana, but I do not believe that my opinion may change more. I spoke to Bayezid and wished him luck with Defne and their family. I hope she will be able to give him that happiness. - I told her and sighed because I was already tired about that topic.

- Now that you are carrying the grandson of the Ottoman dynasty, then you will have to change your mind. You will pass over your pride and return to the Palace. - she told me what shocked me. How did she already find out? Did Beyhan manage to inform so quickly?

- It won't change any situation. I told her and shook my head. I was very sorry that Hurrem found out about it.

- Doesn't every mother want the best for her child? In the Palace the child would receive the best possible education, he would live a lavish life. In case you give birth to a son, maybe one day he will become the next Ottoman Sultan - Hurrem said proudly and smiled at me.

- Likewise, if I give birth to a son and if Prince Selim becomes Sultan, my child will be killed. You didn't think about it. - I told her you sounded a bit arrogant, but I was just telling the truth.

Hurrem took my hand at that moment and looked deep into my eyes. She came very serious, but now she already seemed to soften.

- I didn't say anything to Bayezid, I want him to hear it from you. Come with me to the Palace, talk to him. It's very hard for him without you. Hurrem told me and stroked my arm.

"Don't you think it wasn't hard for me when Defne was the center of his world?" Don't you think that didn't hurt me? I asked her.

- Of course it hurt. I realize Defne is a bigger problem for you. Come to the Palace, I stay for a while. I'll help you. You are the only one who can get my Bayezid on the right track. And your child will be happier in the Palace. And together we will get rid of Defne because neither of us has an interest in her remaining in the Palace. - Hurrem told me and shocked me. I didn't expect a conversation like this with her. I didn't know why she wanted me so much help right now and being on my side?

- And why is it not in your interest for Defne to remain in the Palace? - I asked, confused by her words.

- Defne is a woman who has no character. You would compare her well to Mahidevran, and you are like me. I saw it right away at first. It is not in my interest for her to stay here because she accepts all Bayezid's decisions without discussion. We don't need that, because as you know, Bayezid is very impulsive. she said and sighed.

- You are right. - I told her.

- And what did you decide then? - She asked me and smiled at me.

- I will return to the Palace, but not for Bayezid, but for my child. - I answered her.