Chapter 3

Divya

I clutched my feet to my chest and closed my eyes trying to get a sense of what happened today. What did I do to get myself onto a plane to North Carolina with a stranger? I wanted to get away from Jay and my family so desperately that I did this.

 Where did I go wrong? Did I ruin my life with this decision?

I still remember the day I met Jay like it happened yesterday.

"Divya! Dad got selected this guy for you. Your dad says he is the best and would like you to marry him." My mom told me while I was getting ready to go to the hospital for my shift.

I'm a doctor at the AMG hospitals in Hyderabad. It feels so good to say that. It was really hard for me to get to this point in my life and my father wants to snatch this away from me.

"Amma, it's been a month since I started working and you started all this. Let me work for a year and then we will think about my marriage." I told her calmly applying kajal.

I did my MBBS and PG in Bangalore and moved back home 2 months back. Raghu thatha used to work at AMG which is a prestigious hospital, he recommended me and I went in for a job interview and got the job.

"I got married when I was 16, you are 24 now. Just look at the guy and meet him." My mom told me and placed the picture on my dresser.

"Voice out your opinion before your dad forces you. I won't be able to help you then." She said with worry and left to serve breakfast for my father.

That's my mother for you, she doesn't agree with my father, but still obeys him. I don't understand why she is a human she has her own rights. I told her to quit listening to my father and act on her own, but she shrugs me off every single time.

"I don't want to marry this early," I told my dad who was eating his food, and placed the guy's picture beside him.

I settled opposite him and started serving myself some idly.

"You're 24 and Jay will meet you at the hospital after your shift." He said nonchalantly like he knew I was going to say that.

"I won't meet him! I need some time. I started my career one month back, I want to work some more before I get married." I tried to reason with him.

"You can work after marriage if Jay is okay with it. Don't make me force you. Meet him and impress him. He is the only son of  RR enterprises. It's your luck that he is interested in you." He said to me like my opinion didn't matter and I had to marry this Jay.

"This is the reason I told you to not send her to school. She is talking back at you. You should've let her stay at home." My grandma said coming into the dining room.

"Education is a basic right and stop interfering in my life," I said to her and left the house without eating anything ignoring my mother who was calling me.

I hate this gender bias, just because I'm a girl doesn't mean that my life is to serve others. I wish people could see this. I hate my grandma when it comes to things like this. What's wrong with my grandma, isn't she a woman too? People like her are never going to change. They did the same thing to Sharmila Akka, thank goodness her husband Ravi is a really nice guy.

The driver dropped me at the hospital and I started working. I looked at a child who fell while playing and an old man in pain.

Vineela is the head of the emergency department. I like the emergency ward because you have to be a master in everything, unlike other departments. I love this hospital, I feel proud of myself every single time I see myself in this white coat.