Chapter 4: Anxiety

You gasped for air and opened your eyes as you quickly sat up on your bed, trying to calm down your heavy breathing. Your body shuddered as your fingers clutched onto your blanket, it was just a bad dream. You sighed deeply and laid back down, looking at the time. It was 3 am in the morning. You closed your eyes once again, trying to relax and you turned on the other side..... there was nobody in room other than your dog that was sleeping next to you. You tried to fall asleep again, but you couldn't. That scenes from that dream really bothered you. Your eyes open once again and you stared at the window. It was pitch black outside and you couldn't see a thing. You clutched your blanket harder as you suddenly felt paranoid.... the feeling of being watched came back to you. Was it just a nightmare? Was your mind just playing tricks again? No. "I'm supposed to be safe here... i made sure to lock all doors and close our windows... i even barricated my door just in case something happens." You talked to yourself and you looked down at your sleeping dog, watching it sleep. You sighed, not wanting to wake him up, but you had to. You gently nudged him with your hand and smiled....

You were so happy that your dog was here with you. Safe and sound. Breathing. Living. Alfie looked at you sleepily and he yawned widely, snuggling and brushing himself against you. You rubbed his furr and scratched his ears as he closed his eyes again. You turned your lamp on and looked at your barricated door, staring at it for a few seconds. You weren't sure if it's gonna keep you safe, but you secretly hoped nothing will happen. You were tired, you just wanted to sleep and you weren't in the mood for anything. So the last thing you wanted to happen was to get chased down by a monster at night. You couldn't think about anything, your body was screaming and begging at you for more sleep. That paranoid feeling kept you up for a while, but not for long. Your eyes gave up to the point that you could no longer stay awake and so you fell back into a deep slumber, forgetting about that paranoia. At least for now.

The night passed peacefully and you managed to rest well through the night. Thank God. You woke up to the sound of your dog panting and running around your room. You noticed that he had messed up your bed. Alfie looked at you and pounced on top of you, giving you happy licks and pants. You giggled sleepily and rub his head in return. "Alfie, get down!" You said as he obeyed and he quickly gave your hand a lick. You chuckled and left your bed, brushing your hair and tied it into a ponytail. You continued with your morning routine, getting yourself ready for the day.

~~~

"Let me fix the bed, Alfie!" You playfully scolded your dog to which he pounces on the bed and plays with your blanket and pillow. You facepalmed and sighed at the sight of him playing like this. It was so hard for you to fix your bed, since your dog loved to mess your bed. And on top of that he was so stubborn most of the times. "Alfie, i told you to get down. Don't make me repeat myself." You frowned, earning a playful growl from him as he rolled on his back and belly multiple times. "Alfieee!!!" You raised your voice and after a while of you scolding your pup, you managed to fix your bed.

~~~

"You won't believe what i dreamt of, Jessica! It was a horrible nightmare!" You chatted with your best friend Jessica outside your home and sighed as you explained her the details. "You see... it involved the Slenderman..." you paused to take a deep breath. "Remember last time you told me a story about him? Well... i was in that forest. At first it all seemed like some kind of a stupid joke to me, but no.. i saw him. He was there, staring at me, even though he had no eyes, i could feel him stare at me. How do i even explain.... it frightened me. It all felt so real that i thought i was really gonna die..." you continued, explaining everything to her. Jessica listened carefully and nodded. "Honey, don't be scared, it was just a nightmare. You see, he's not real, i can assure you that. And maybe that night i shouldn've scared you... i'm sure, you'll be fine." She spoke to me in a soft, smooth voice which comforted me.

"But Jessica i felt like i was being watched by him. I'm scared." You hug her tightly. "What if he is real? What if all the stories you told me are actually true?! What if we die??" You started to panic, thinking about all those things. "No, Y/N, you're just imagining things, i'm sure you'll be just fine. Take a deep breath and calm down. Don't think about him. He won't do any harm to you. Just listen to me and you'll see, okay? Now relax..." she pleaded as she held you in her arms, giving you comfort. A sigh left your lips and you two break the hug. "Fine... i hope you're right."