Chapter 7-October 2012

TK

"Gay"

That's all that's carved on my locker. Were they trying to be funny? Did they run out of time? Why go for an easy insult. I honestly expect better from my classmates.

"You ok?" Asks Jason over my shoulder.

"I'm good. Really. I'm good. I've heard worse and survived worse," I say with a shrug.

He and the guys give me a look I've seen a dozen times in the last few weeks, sadness but trusting I'm ok.

"Don't forget to come by our table at lunch. We have to talk about the Halloween plans," he says.

"Oh. Uhhhh, I am leaving after first period, family stuff. But text me what you come up with. I'll check with my parents," I say, not giving them the full story.

Only Sarah knows the actual story, maybe Jamie. Today I see my dad for the first time since I was taken from him.

Emma said that it's normal for the courts to try and reunite the child with their parents. If they've made efforts to get better. Quit drinking. Drugs. Whatever. I don't know how my dad can quit hating me, but I'll see what happens today at court.

Alex's picking me up in his squad car and taking me downtown, Mandy and Dan had to meet with Emma early, and I have a math test to destroy. Pretty sure I will. 

During the passing period for first and second block, I walk out to the front of the school and see a cop car waiting for me. I haven't asked Alex about my dad, and I don't want to know, really. He and my dad are both cops, but thankfully, they don't have a lot of overlap.

"How are you feeling about today? Nervous?" He asks.

I just nod my head, but I'm quiet.

He pats my leg and smiles. "It will be ok. I'm sure of it."

By the time we get to the courthouse, I'm in a full panic. It shows when Dan hugs me, and I pull him back in for another one.

He looks at me with emotions in my eyes, "you're going to be ok."

Emma comes over, and we all head into the courtroom, and I see him standing there. Looking sullen and angry like always. Alex couldn't stay with us cause he had to be back on duty, but I know he would if he could.

The judge comes in, and things startup.

"Good morning, everyone. We are here to determine the living situation for Tyler Mathis. Emma Burke for DHS, and Robert Mathis, correct," she says. 

"That's correct, your honor. The foster family is also in attendance if required," says Emma.

The judge opens her mouth to speak to my dad, but he raises his hand.

"Yes, Officer Mathis? Did you want to say anything before we proceed?"

"Yes, I'm not contesting any of this. I'll sign over my rights. I just want to be done with this....mess," he says and looks at me like I'm a cockroach.

"Officer Mathis. Do you understand what you're saying? If you do this, you'll lose all connection with him," asks the judge.

"Yup. That's fine with me. This has fucked my life up enough. I'll be moving anyways. What do I need to sign?" He says.

"It will be sent to your attorney. You're free to leave. Emma, sidebar with me," she says and talks to Emma for a second.

My dad leaves the room without making eye contact with me. Probably the last time I'll ever see him, and he didn't even look back at me.