Chapter 39-New York August 2016

TK.

Ryan's voice sounds worried when he answers the phone. "Hey, baby. You ok? Did you get to school?"

"No, I'm freaking out right now. What if I get murdered. What if I get lost. What if I get a metro card and it runs out of money," I say with a shaky voice.

"Metro cards are a real thing, Jack. You use them on the subway," says Ryan doing an impersonation of Selma Hayek from 30 Rock, and I laugh, feeling the tension leave my body. "Feel better?"

"Yes, but I miss you. I should have just taken the student loan debt and gone to Ohio," I say, and I look for my bags on the luggage carousel.

"We all wanna flee to the Cleve, Lemon," says Ryan.

"Ok, enough 30 Rock. Help me feel better," I say.

"Ok, sorry, baby. It was a perfect opening. How about this reason. Your Dad would've MURDERED me in cold blood if you did that. Then you'd be here without me." He says.

"You're right. You'd never stand a chance against him. I'm just scared. I don't want to be, but I am." I say, trying to hold it together.

"Remember your first day of school. You didn't know anyone and everyone knew your drama. You survived. It's like that, BUT no one knows your drama. You'll make friends, you'll kiss weirdo art house people and then tell me about it 'cause that's the rule. You'll complain to me about the traffic and the trains. It's day one in New York, my love. You'll come see me in September, and then you'll come watch me play Penn state with Haley. Remember, we have a plan," he says.

"You're Right. Ok. Oh god, I see the World Trade Center. I'm here. I'm really here. Oh no, it's a poster. Shit, I'm in Miami," I say with a chuckle.

"Well. Good luck with that. Florida's weird. Remember what Dan said. If you're scared of the subway, then take a cab to NYU and do the subway tomorrow," he says.

"Ok. Yes, I'll do that. Cause I'm chicken shit," I say, and he laughs.

"I love you. Text me when you get to school, but also, I want you to check your wallet. I left you a present," he says.

"What? Let me look," I say and pull out my wallet. I look in the flap and see it. "A metro card?"

"My roommate sent me one over the summer. It's got 20 bucks on it," says Ryan with a laugh. "Didn't want you to be without one. Now, hang up and get to school. I love you."

"I love you," I repeat back, and I know it's true. I wait for a second and then end the call.

I grab my three bags and head to the taxi line, and wait. When it's finally my turn, the cabbie asks me where I'm going, and I just say, "NYU, I guess. Let me look. Ok. Weinstein Hall. Do you know that one?" He nods, and we head off into the city.

It's not until we get to the Brooklyn Bridge that this all seems natural.

"Where you from, kid?" Asks the driver.

"Colorado," I say, and he smiles. "This is a lot different."

"You'll get the hang of it. Don't be too worried," he says. "I've taken lots of kids to NYU. It's a great school."

I just nod and watch the city pass me by—day 1 in New York City.

After about 30 minutes, we come to a stop, and he turns and looks at me. "We're here. Use the card reader," he says as I pull out my wallet. "I'll get your bags."

"Thanks," I say with a smile. New Yorkers aren't that bad.

He has them waiting on the curb when I get out of the cab. He leaves with a smile; I'll take that as a good sign.