Chapter 50

-Nora POV-

-2 years ago-

We were building a railway, and things were going smoothly. But it was so hot...
"Hey! Is this, really, something they needed us to do?" asked Connie.
"Nope, they'd have hired someone" said Jean. "If that idiot hadn't opened his mouth and volunteered our help"

"Well, it's not like we have much else to do except wait for Hizuru's answer" I said, I saw Armin running after Sasha who stole food again and it made me laugh.
"Uhu, hopefully with their help, we'll have some friends in this world" said Jean. "It might be a long shot, but it could be an alternative to the rumbling. And that could save Historia from suffering"

I walked to Armin who was out of breath.
"Are you okay?" I asked and laughed.
Last night he suddenly asked me to cut his hair and now he looks even more handsome.

"Yeah, just... need... to take... a breather" he said and I gave him some of my water.
"Hey!" shouted Hanji, she came with my father. "Whoa! It can't be easy working your buts off when it's this hot out"

"Dad, can I kick Hanji?" I asked and he nodded, so I kicked Hanji in her ass.
"Hey, little Levi! Not nice!" she shouted and I rolled my eyes.
"You brats got taller" said dad and looked at Connie. "It's like you're sprouting up just to spite me"

"I know what you mean, dad. It's not fair with how tall they get" I said and Armin smiled.
"Have you heard anything from Hizuru yet?" asked Eren.
"That's why we're here" said Hanji. "The Azumabito's reply"

"So, what did they say?" I asked.
"It's no good" said Hanji. "Hizuru either can't or won't help us with this. Makes sense, Hizuru has a monopoly on any resources that we want to export right now. So why would they ever help us trade with other countries? From what I hear... the world's major powers want Paradis to be the root of all evil. We're the shared foe that helps them bring them together. Their hatred for us provides global stability"

"Then... do we have to rely on the Rumbling?" asked Eren. "Do we have no choice but to sacrifice Historia?"
"That's right" said dad.

"So, what?" asked Armin. "The world's decided that we're devils, regardless of what our intentions are? They can't want us to repeat the past so why won't they consider peace?"
"Probably, 'cause they don't know better" said Mikasa. "They don't know anything about us and that makes them afraid"

"I agree" said Hanji. "Our neighbours across the sea won't trust people's faces they've never seen. So, let's sail out and meet them. If they don't know anything about us then we'll just have to teach them. That's what we Scouts always do! Right?"

~

The railway was finally done and we rode the train, I stood next to Armin who was steering the train.
"So the plan is to infiltrate Marley and set up a base there, heh?" said Jean.
"I like it" said Sasha. "Hanji has a plan for everything, am I right? It's exciting! I'll get to chew on food from a distant land"

"Yeah, wonder what we should pack" said Connie. "Hope that foreign food doesn't give us the runts"
"We'll need to pack some anti-acids, a toothbrush and a taste of home" said Sasha.
"Did you even hear Hanji's plan?" asked Mikasa.

"If we can just find a way to convince the world that all we want is peace, maybe our situation will change" said Armin.
"If only we had a little more time left" said Eren.
I felt Armin take my hand and gave it a little squeeze.

"My time will be up in just over 5 years" said Eren. "We need to make a decision soon, about who to give my Titan to"
"I think it should be me" said Mikasa.
"No, not an option" said Jean. "We don't even know if Ackerman's are able to turn into Titans. So a no for you too, Nora"