Chapter 21

'Run.'

The word is replaying over and over in my mind.

I can't believe how one small word can completely throw me off guard.
I can feel the confusion within Jake as well, as it mirrors my own.

The gigantic rogue still stands strong in front of us.

His eyes unrelenting to look away from my brother and me.

From the corner of my own eyes I can see Ana take a discreet step back.

But it's to late.

Our defence line has been broken with that simple action, and the rogue knows it too.
A look of satisfaction appears in his eyes as he turns to Ana.

A fierce look coming over him.

Ana's wolf takes another step back to which the rogue seems to like.
He starts to take a step forward to each backwards step of hers.
I don't know what's going on here but I know no matter how intimidating this rogue is I will stick up for her. As her friend and as Luna of the Blood Moon Pack.

The rogues huge paws move slowly forward.

Like a predator stalking it's prey.

Ana keeps moving backwards and I've had enough of this.

I move suddenly and effortlessly in front of her.

Guarding her.

I feel no fear as he turns his head my way. His red eyes blazing with fire and anger.

Jake's wolf Luca is by my side within a matter of seconds, bearing his teeth to warn the rogue to back off.

Mara isn't fazed as she stands at her highest, her head tilted upwards as she looks straight in to the rogues fiery eyes.

She is challenging him.

I'm not overly sure if this is a good idea but I trust Mara to know what she's doing.

The challenge has been set and now she lowers her head as her stance changes from challenging to fighting.

She's ready for whatever happens in the next few seconds and it looks as though Jake's wolf Luca has the same stance.

We're both ready but I still feel no threat from this rogue to Jake or myself.

Ana seems to be the target but while we are stood in front of her she seems to be safe.

I don't know how long we stand there like that, seconds, minutes, I'm not sure but the moment is broken when I hear the howls and pounding of paws getting even closer.

I watch in fascination as everyone's focus on the other dissipates as the realisation of our predicament sinks in.

'I said run.'

There is that word again as realisation hits me like a truck.
It's the gigantic rogue standing in front of us that's saying it.

How is that even possible?

No other wolf can mindlink with another, unless....

1... They are from the same pack,

Or...

2... They are family.

'Damn it, will you both listen to me and RUN.'

Before I could stop myself I asked, 'Who are you?'

'I haven't the time to answer questions right now.' His big wolf eyes looks between Mara and Luca and the fire in his eyes from earlier disappears showing a soft hint of an emotion I'm still trying to understand for someone who isn't my twin. 'Please, I will answer your questions but not now. You need to go. I need you both safe. I will hold them off long enough to give you time to escape. But you need to go now.' His nose nudges Jake's wolf, 'Protect your sister.'
Then his big old wolf nose nudges me saying the same thing, 'Protect your brother.'