Chapter 5 - Orphanage

Kang Sae-Byeok's POV

I decided to go visit my brother today. Once I've reached my destination, I saw him sitting alone while the other kids were playing with each other. I sat down beside him. "Why aren't you playing with them?" I questioned. He stayed silent, not responding to my question.

I saw the caregiver giving ice cream to each kid on the playground.

"Here", I gave him the ice cream that I bought for him earlier. He didn't even dare to look at me.

"What? No ice cream for you, little man?" I asked. He still didn't respond to me. I noticed that there is a bandage on his face with a few scars. "What happened to your face? Did you fight with your friends?" I asked him again. Still not getting a response, I sighed.

"If you're not going to talk to me, I guess I'll just go" Still receiving his silent treatment, I stood up.

"Wait. I don't wanna stay here okay?", he finally spoke. I looked down at his face. "Where's mom? You said she would come soon. You told me we'd be together, that I just had to wait a month." He said.

I crouched down. "Cheol, Listen-"

"All the kids told me you lied! They said I'd never leave. They said I would get abandoned here", I hugged him as he began to cry.

"They're wrong. Mom will be here soon. I swear, okay? I'll make sure she does." I spoke. I let go of the hug. "Listen, we'll live under the same roof next year, okay?" He sniffled and nodded. I wiped off his tears.

"I'm your older sister. I always keep my word, don't I?" He turned to look at me. I patted his head as I began to hug him again.

"Cheol!" I heard someone yell out my brother's name. A girl who kinda looks like the same age as Cheol, approached us. "Ah! Eunjin!" My brother said. "Do you want to go play with me and my sister? Noona came here to visit me!" She smiled and I saw Cheol's eyes widen and his face lit up. "Wait...Shin-young's here?" My brother exclaimed. Eunjin nodded and Cheol smiled. "Noona! Let's follow Eunjin. Her older sister is here! She's the one who defended me from the bullies." I didn't have the time to reply as Cheol grabbed my hand and followed Eunjin.

Hwang Shin-young's POV

Eunjin went to talk and play with Cheol, the boy who I protected from the other kids. I grabbed my phone and began to call the card again, wishing to participate once more. He said that he'll meet me again at the same place. I sigh and closed my eyes until I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Noona! Cheol's here..He said that he wants to join our game!" My sister said. I stood up and began walking towards Cheol. "Hey little man! How are you? Did the other kids bully you again?" I questioned. He smiled and shook his head as a no. I sighed in relief.

"No, not really. My sister went to visit me here. Noona!" Cheol yelled. The tall girl who was apparently his sister, began walking towards us. Wait a God damn minute....She looks familiar. Wait....Player 67?!. My eyes widened as well as hers. "Player 67?!" I asked. I began to walk closer to her and grabbed her chin. I began to inspect her face. Huh, it's really her... I pulled my hand away when I stopped inspecting.

I didn't notice that Cheol and Eunjin were basically looking at us, their eyes wide open and widely smiling. "I guess my sister's got herself a girlfriend" Eunjin whispered to Cheol's ear, but it's loud enough for me and 67 to hear. I looked away from 67 as I felt my cheeks burning up. The tall girl also looked away from me. "So uhh, me and Eunjin will be playing on the playground. You guys stay here, okay?" Cheol said with a smile on his face.

"W-wait Cheol-", I didn't have the time to say something as Eunjin and him ran towards the playground, leaving me and 67 alone. I told her to sit beside me in a bench. We sat in an uncomfortable silence until I spoke. "So...will you go back to the games? Also, I haven't got your name yet. I can't keep calling you 67 ya know?" I said. She deeply stared at me, thinking whether she would tell me her name or not. A few seconds later, she finally spoke. "It's Sae-Byeok. Kang Sae-Byeok. And yes, I will join the games again. How about you?" She asked me. I chuckled slightly before speaking. "Yeah, I already called the number earlier. I needed money badly to provide for my sister. She's the only family member I have left. Our parents got murdered. Also my grandparents. My older brother, Jun-ho, went to look for the person who killed them. He never returned home. He got lost and I've never heard anything from him ever since what happened", I told her and looked down. I felt someone rub my back to comfort me, realizing it was Sae-Byeok. I stared at her and smiled "Wow...I never knew a cold person would be so soft to me right now. Are you perhaps attracted to me or something?", I chuckled and Sae-Byeok began to remove her hand out of my back.

"Tch...Don't get used to it" she told me before her expression changed into a cold one again. I dramatically sighed and pouted. "Aishhhh....fine."

I took out my phone and checked the time. I've been here for a few hours now. I guess it's time for me to leave.

"Hey, Sae-Byeok, I have to leave now. I have to do something important" She began to stare at me and sadness began filling up her eyes. I smiled "Don't worry, we'll participate in the games again, right? I'll meet you there, I promise", I stood up and patted her head. I began walking towards Cheol and Eunjin, saying goodbye.

Time Skip (12 AM)

I was in the same place where the van picked me up, waiting for them patiently. Suddenly, the van from before was once again infront of me. The window slid down, revealing the masked person from before. "Password?" He once again questioned. "Red Light, Green Light" I answered. The van door opened and I went inside. Just as what happened before, there were gas coming out of the van. I inhaled it and slowly drifted to sleep.

I guess we're going back at the games again..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(A/N seriously? Three chapters in one day? (⊙_☉) )