12

Waking up in the morning, my head is throbbing. The painkillers are in the bathroom. I'm afraid to get them because I might find a very naked person in there. He could just be waiting for me to spite me.

What has become of me. I'm afraid of going into my own bathroom in my own flat.

I test my luck anyway. I haven't had a fair share of that in these past few days. So I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.

Fortunately he isn't here. What a relief. I have to remind myself not to celebrate too quickly. He's a sly one, that one.

I take the painkillers then I take a shower.

When I'm done getting ready, I find him sitting in the lounge, watching TV. He's not dressed. Only a towel is wrapped around his waist.

The devil is testing my patience.
I gasp for air.

"I've been waiting for you", he smiles. He likes that he has an evident affect on me.

"You have?", I try to compose myself. I hope my voice sounds more confident than how I'm feeling.

"Yeah. I'm driving you to school", he informs me.
"Oh?", I'm a bit surprised. "Dr... dressed like that", I wasn't meaning to stutter.

"No. But if you want me too", he sounds very serious.
"No", I speak very quickly.

Come on. You know you do.
My subconscious mocks me. She really doesn't know when to give it a rest.

He quickly goes and gets dressed.

"Let's go", he says.
"Uhm... before you go", I begin reluctantly. He lets go of the door handle and he gives me his full attention. I must admit I feel a bit intimidated.

"Can I ask you something", I'm nervous and tense.

"Shoot", he stares at me.
"Did...did something happen last night?"
"Something like what?", He smirks.

I bite my lip nervously.

"No. Nothing much except for you mindlessly screaming out my name and begging me for mercy"

I freeze. I can't tell if he's lying or not. I did have a lot to drink after all.

He bursts out in laughter.

"I'm kidding. Nothing happened. But the look on your face is priceless", he continues to laugh.

I can't bring myself to laugh with him. I fake a smile.

We leave.

In his car, I sit as far away from him as I possibly can.

"Are you ever going to loosen up around me or do I have to get you drunk first?", He asks me.

I try to relax in the chair but it's proving difficult. I'm still very tense.

"Nothing happened for real. You only tried to kiss me but I stopped you because that's what you wanted me to do", he assures me and that just makes me feel worse.

How can I make the rules then end up being the same person who breaks them.

"Drop me off right here", I tell him in a low voice
"It's too far from your campus though", I can see stress lines on his face.

He's concerned?

"It's fine", I tell him.
"Why are trying to hide something that's not there?"

His question throws me off. I don't know what to say to him.

"Drop me off at the campus then", I ignore his question. I hope he doesn't notice.

"Would you like to have dinner with me tonight, my place?"

Changing the subject? That's a bit quick and suspicious.

"Okay", I say.
"Cool. Pick you up after work", he beams.

***

He enters my almost empty workplace. I can tell from the look on his face that something's bothering him. I dare not ask. I don't want to be sending any mixed signals and after last night, I want to stay in the clear

"You done?", He asks me. His voice is a bit stern.
"A few minutes then my shift is as good as done", I tell him.

"You need to cancel your driver. I'll be taking over from her", he tells me.

Sphe looks at me. She's as baffled as I am.

"Why?", I ask him.
"Because it'll make your life easier", he says.

"No", I stand tall to emphasize my confidence in my refusal.

"Stop pretending like you don't need it", his teeth are clenched but he keeps his voice down.

"And what do you suppose I tell S..."
"Don't say his name", he breathes out fire.

"What do I say to my boyfriend", I cross my arms across my chest.

"I don't know. I don't care",he says.

He leaves the bar and he takes a seat with his back facing us.

"What's up with him?", Sphe asks me.
I shrug.

"Something to do with last night?", She looks at me with suspicious eyes.
"No", I shake my head.

"Are you sure"
"I tried to kiss him", I confess.

She gapes.

"Say something", I prod her.
"Like what", she's too loud.

"I don't know. I was drunk. We spoke about my mother. I don't know what I was expecting", I explain.

"Are you okay", again she gives me the pity eyes that I hate so much.

"I don't know. I miss Sandile and he's not here but HE is. I don't know what to do", I'm holding back tears.

"You already know my opinion but at the end of the day, it's all up to you.

One the waitress approaches me.
"That guy over says he only wants to be served by you", she tells me.

"Okay. I'll get to it"

I go to his table.

"What would you like, sir?", I ask him.

"What's with the formalities miss? You act as if we haven't shared a kiss or two" he smirks.

"What do you want", I raise an eyebrow.

"Are you angry with me?", He asks sarcastically.
"No. I just don't appreciate you ordering me around"
"I'm sorry then"
"Apology partly accepted"

"Do you want me to cancel dinner?", He asks me.
"No"

"Okay then. A bottle of whiskey will do"
"You're driving", I tell him.
"And you're such an old lady"

I roll my eyes and we both laugh. What in the world am I getting myself into?