23

The poetry night begins and no act seems to be impressing the "esteemed" gentleman sitting beside me. All of my attention is focused on him for most of the evening. Poetry is really not my thing, so it's not a bummer. I'm not missing out on much.

Keletso's face lights up when the (his) guest of honour graces the stage. 

It's a girl. A very pretty girl. Of course it is a girl, why wouldn't it be. I'm sure they a have a thing going on between them and he only brought me here to embarrass me.

My eyes move back and forth between the both of them. It's like nothing else is here. It's just both of them.tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

I block out my subconscious before she can say anything. I already know what she's going to say and no, I'm not paranoid. I know what I'm feeling and my female intuition is never wrong.

I look at Keletso and he's in awe. I try to compose myself. I don't want to say anything that will sabotage me because he has more stuff to use against me and I won't give him that satisfaction.

"Isn't she a beauty?" he asks me and I notice that he hasn't stopped looking at her.

"Yeah she is." At this point I'm annoyed by him.

"How would you know when you're not looking at her?" He uses an accusatory tone when he speaks and I roll my eyes and mimic him in my head.

"You don't have to be jealous of her, you have a boyfriend remember?" he says to me and my blood boils.

"I'm not jealous. I just don't understand what is so special about her... and can we please not talk about him, I'm here with you and that's all that matters" I cave in. Of course I cave in. Why am I putty in his hands?

He seems pleased by the tiny bit of information I added on at the end. The smile on his face confirms it and I'm pleased. I don't want to think about the guilt I should be feeling right now.

"Now if you want your mystery to be solved, listen" He looks at her and I have no choice but to do the same.

"hello" she whispers into the mic and the crowd explodes.

I hate her voice. It's beautiful but I hate it still.

"It is the weird kiid and I'm sorry for making you wait this long." she continues to whisper.

Why is she flirting? Why on earth is she flirting?

"We forgive you!" Keletso screams and it takes everything in me to hold on to the tiny bit of patience I have left.

"Okay...here goes..." She whispers and the idiot next to me and the rest of everyone cheers for her.

"...Choice is a double edged sword.

love is a fraud.

life is hard

and the path is draped with mud.

                              *loud cheers *

I want to get lost in someone.

I want to touch each and every inch of their skin.

I want to breathe them in.

I want to breathe out their name.