18

I wake up feeling very dizzy. My head makes me fully aware of the night and morning I had. A lot of things are still a bit blurry but remember the argument between Keletso and I.

I reach for my backpack and I search for my phone. I try not to move too quickly as I'm still a bit out of it.

I look for Sphe's number and my head just keeps on throbbing.

The phone only rings twice and she answers on the third ring.

"hello!" her loud voice catches me off guard. I move the phone away from my ear.

"sorry to bother you this early but I need a favour

"it's fine. it's your birthday...sort of." she laughs. She's definitely still drunk.

"did you get any sleep?" 

"duh...obviously not (she laughs again) so did Mr dark chocolate keep you up all night...morning?"

"no" I roll my eye and she groans.

"borrrring... so what do you need?" 

"Sandile. I need you to tag him for me. They might both show up at work and I need to be prepared. So please"  I plead with her.

The line goes quiet.

"hello, did you get that?"

"yes. copy that. Affirmative! Sir yes sir. positive sir!!"  her loud voice makes me impulsively end the call. I hope she's not offended. Then again she'd too drunk to care.

I make a mental note to never, ever again touch anything that has alcohol in it.

I take a very long shower and I feel a bit better afterwards. 

I get to my first class a few minutes earlier. I head straight to work after my classes. I still haven't heard anything from Sphe and I'm starting to get worried. 

The worrying is making me a bit agitated. I keep hoping the next customer is one of the two boys. I'm also glad when I find out it isn't. I really can't afford having the both of them in the same place at once, with me in the mix as a catalyst.

Keletso finally walk in and my heart almost stops. The slight shock is replaced by annoyance when I see who he's with. He blatantly ignores me and I do the same. If he wants to play games, then I'm game.

You're not angry, you're just jealous.

I ignore my subconscious honesty.

I don't know why, but I keep hoping that he'll ask for me. I'm faili9ng dismally at ignoring him as I keep looking over at his table. He's so damn annoying.

I see him walking my way and I smile to myself as I sum up some composure.

"who's she?" I ask him as soon as he's at the counter and I immediately regret having a mouth that receives signals from hormones.

"are you jealous?" he smirks.

good you just boosted his ego.

My subconscious is really having a field day with me today.

"no" I simply say.

He laughs at me.

"what can I say, I'm irresistible" he drags out the word in a flirtatious manner.

I can't help but focus on his lips. I see Sandile walking up behind him and I freeze on the spot. I duck under the counter to answer my ringing phone. 

"where are you. They're both here. you had one job!! one tiny little job!!"  I scold her through gritted teeth.

"I am, I was... I lost him but he's there now so you too can talk and fix things"  she does sound remorseful and of course non of this is her fault.

"they're both here and I don't know what to do. Things can only get more worse from here"  

"the two weeks is over right? and Sandile is back. Just make the most out of the situation. You totally got this, bye"

I end the call and I rise up too quickly, hitting my head on the counter on my way up. My pain is soon forgotten as I see both gentlemen manhandling each other. Sandile lands a punch and suddenly Keletso is on the floor being beaten into a pulp.

It feels like time has stopped right where I am but everything around me is still moving. keletso stares blankly at me as Sandile is being pulled away from him.

I can't bear to look at him but I also can't bear to look away from him.

I pull my eyes away from him when the girl he's with hovers over him. Sandile leaves and I follow him. I'm not sure if I'm making the right choice but I hope it's the safest choice. What I'm definitely sure of is that Keletso would mock me for making the most obvious, dullest and boring choice.