29

I'm buried deep in paperwork. Don't get me wrong, I love learning and working (and being able to pay back Keletso). But this is a lot of work.

"I know the way!" I hear Keletso shouting at someone.

I mentally apologize to them.

Both Marcus and I raise our heads in anticipation. I'm sitting on a chair and he's hovering behind me. (In a professional manner) in case you're wondering.

"You're overworking her. It's way past her lunchtime." He rolls his eyes at my boss and I apologize with my eyes on his behalf.

"Sorry I didn't notice." Marcus is curt.
"It's my fault. I said it's fine. He ordered lunch, it's the delivery guy who's late." I'm hoping to calm Keletso down but I know it's pointless.

He was just looking for a reason to be unreasonable and go off at my boss just to boost his ego, and his unwarranted jealousy.

"He'll enjoy his late food. We have a lunch date remember?" His tone is still stern and his eyes are on my boss.

I nod.

The delivery guy walks in as soon as I'm done with clearing my table. Keletso stops him.

"Which one is yours?" He asks, still not looking at me. But I know that his tone is directed at Marcus.

He takes my food and gives Marcus his. The two gentlemen have a faceoff as their eyes meet for a second. I cringe at the tension and I find myself wanting to be out of this place sooner, rather than later.

"Hey Africa..." Marcus calls after me and I hear Keletso's heavy breath.
"Take the rest of the day off. We wouldn't want to break your back. You are our most valuable asset afterall."

I don't really know how to feel about this statement. He sounds like Sphe, with her innuendos. I don't want to think much about it. If the two men want to have a pissing contest, then so be it. I just have to find a way, not to entertain it.

Keletso just remains quiet. Those words were definitely for him. Well he started it, he'll just have to lie in the bed he made. I'm not stroking or nursing his ego.

I eat my lunch, quietly in his car. His eyes are too focused on the road so I let him be.

"Where are we going?" I ask as soon as he parks the car in the underground parking lot.

"Shopping spree." He doesn't look at me.
"Okay." I match his energy and this frustrates him even further but he doesn't say anything.

I bite down a laugh.

We get to the botique and I notice my entire salary on a single dress.

"Can we go somewhere else? Somewhere I can atleast afford."

He just laughs at me.

"What's so funny?" I've inherited all his frustration.
"I missed the part where I decided that you'll pay." He continues to laugh.

"I still owe you a lot of money."
"I'm not having any of that today."

"I missed the part where somebody died and made you the boss of me."
"On our way here I kept hoping that Marcus would fall in a ditch and die."

"Fine." I say and he smirks.

I decide to let it go because I don't want to argue about my boss. But something is bothering me.

How does he know my boss's name when I never told him?

I'm surprised that my subconscious is keeping quiet about this.

She sticks out her tongue at me.

***

Keletso hands me a shiny, green/lime dress and shows me the way to the fitting room.

I only notice that the dress has a slit when I've tried it on. My thigh is enticingly peeping out of it.

"It's too tight." I tell him. He is sprawled out on the couch infront of me and I feel like a hooker.

He takes in a deep breath. I can't get over the effect I have on him and I'm momentarily distracted from my thoughts of feeling cheap.

"It's fine." He groans.
"I want a different size. If that's your reaction, imagine what every guy's reaction will be?" My attempt at using his reaction against him is in vain as I see him shaking his head.

"It's fine. Let them look. But they can't have you."
"I'm not a possession." I fire back.
"Never said you were." He raises his eyebrows in a condescending manner.

My subconscious rolls back in laughter and I find myself feeling alone.

"If you don't like this one, you can take another one. Take as many as you like."
"There's not enough time for that. I have to get back to work."

His frustration comes back like a flood and the look on his face isn't priceless. It's actually scary.

"You heard the boy. You have the rest of the day off, Africa. Don't pick a pointless fight over this."

I agree with him for the sake of peace.

We leave the boutique around dinner time. We grab takeaways and head on to eat at my place.